Growing up, I always lamented the fact that Arizona didn't have more seasonal weather.
The majority of my family is split between Minnesota and Ohio, where the leaves are falling and the weather is cooling, making for a much better Fall feeling.
I drool over the setting in movies set back east or in places where trees are plentiful and cacti are not. The 1978 version of Halloween is one of my favorite movies simply because of the beautiful scenery.
Regardless of the weather, I have a delicious and easy soup for you. I've been making this hearty and flavorful recipe for years, and it couldn't be easier!
Easy Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup (Vegan)
- 1 1/4 c. dried split peas rinsed
- 1/2 small yellow onion about 1/2 cup
- 1 c. celery chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 t. dried basil
- 1/2 t. dried rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 t. sea salt
- 1/2 t. black pepper
- 4 c. water
- 2 T. fresh parsley chopped
- Layer the ingredients in the order listed (split peas on the bottom, topped with onion, celery, etc.); reserve the parsley.
- Cook the soup on high for 5-6 hours or low for 9-10 hours.
- If at the end of this time the soup is not thickened to your liking, remove the lid and turn the dial to 'high' until it reduces to suit your taste.
- Garnish with parsley, ladle into bowls, and enjoy!
I like my soup pretty thick, so I remove the lid at the end and let it cook for an extra 30 minutes or so.
This is a great 'hands off' meal for days when you have a few minutes to spare in the morning and not much leniency at night. Sometimes, if I need a protein boost, I throw in some chopped chicken sausage.
Served with a salad and some fresh warm bread (does anyone eat bread any more?), this makes a scrumptious and filling meal!
What's your favorite soup? Did you have a happy Halloween?
Here are some highlights from our night. Jade was a witch, Nat was Cinderella, I was Little Red Riding Hood, and, upon my request, my husband was Zombie Boy (google Lady Gaga for that one). What is it about tattooed men that I love anyway?? #mystery
Love that last one! 😀