What do you get when you add a leavening agent to a brownie recipe?....
Fluffy, delicious chocolate cake....what if you also throw in some zucchini?
Soft, moist, Pillsbury doughboy-poking heaven. If you've never tried adding zucchini to a dessert, don't fear! It adds a tasteless moistness to the batter, allowing you to nix the eggs and gobs of oil. I even like throwing it in my smoothies!
The texture and taste are reminiscent of a chocolate cake you may have had at a childhood birthday party.
Frosted Brownie Cupcakes
- 2 T. chickpea flour
- 2 T. water
- 1 T. oil coconut, grapeseed, walnut, or avocado
- 1 T. applesauce
- 3 T. milk of your choice
- 12 drops liquid stevia
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- ¼ c. natural granulated sugar such as coconut sugar or sucanat
- ½ c. oats measured then ground
- 3 T. cocoa powder
- ½ t. baking soda
- ¼ t. salt
- ½ c. zucchini finely grated
- 4 T. milk of your choice
- 4 large soft dates
- 2 T. cocoa powder
- 1 T. coconut oil melted
- ¼ t. vanilla
- pinch sea salt
- Set the dates in the four tablespoons of milk to soak in one bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk the chickpea flour with the two tablespoons of water for your 'egg'.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix your dry ingredients (ground oats, baking soda, salt, and cocoa).
- In another bowl, beat the oil, applesauce, milk, sugar, stevia, and vanilla.
- Beat in the chickpea egg.
- Stir the wet mix with the dry ingredients and grated zucchini until just combined.
- Pour the batter into six lined muffin tins.
- Bake for 15-16 minutes.
- Process the ingredients for the frosting (including the soaking liquid) until smooth and well combined.
- After the cupcakes have cooled, frost and sprinkle them.
The cupcake portion of this dessert is modestly sweetened, so that the frosting really brings it all together without making it sickening. If you'd like a bit more sweetness, just add a little extra stevia, but I think they are perfect.
These are made in honor of my hubby's upcoming birthday, hence the candle. He liked them so well that he has requested them again on his actual birthday, which is the 25th of this month. 😀
What do you like to treat yourself with on your birthday?
I definitely think chocolate would be in order for me! 😀