This sugar-free apple pie filling is made without any sweeteners and is delicious atop pancakes or yogurt. Stir in a handful of raisins and a sprinkle of granola for a healthy treat.
I am enamored with this recipe right now.
I daydream of all the different ways to use it because I love it so darn much!
It tastes like apple pie filling, minus all the associated sugar. Ironic, as I’ve not used it as the filling in a pie, but still…
Many a morning, I take the girls to school, and Sammy and I return home to make a batch of these Oatmeal Pancakes. Oftentimes, we can’t finish them all, so later in the day, I find myself munching on them as a snack.
These gooey apple slices came to be as a result of wanting an accompaniment to the soft, fluffy cakes. In lieu of maple syrup, I decided to saute an apple in a bit of butter and use that as my topping.
While it turned out delicious, it was lacking that thick ‘gooey’ consistency that I was craving.
After adding in an arrowroot slurry, however, my sidekick sautéed apples became the main star of my mid-day treat!
The additions of cinnamon and vanilla really make this taste delicious and make up for any lack of added sugar. I find myself making sure to always have apples on hand just in case I need a fix!
- 1 T . butter or coconut oil
- 2 sweet apples , sliced ~1/8 inch thick
- dash sea salt
- 1/2 c . cold water
- 2 t . arrowroot
- 1 t . vanilla extract
- cinnamon , pie spice, to taste
- Heat the butter or oil in a medium non-stick pan.
- Add the apple slices and salt.
- Saute the apples over medium heat for 5-7 minutes until softened.
- In a small cup, whisk the water with the arrowroot and vanilla.
- Once the apples have softened, add in the arrowroot slurry.
- Raise the heat a bit, and stir the apples until thickened.
- Once thick, remove the pan from the heat.
- Stir in cinnamon and/or pie spice as desired (I use a LOT!)
Fat: 7.2 g Carbs: 31.4 g Sugar: 23.5 g Protein: 0.7 g; Nutrition facts based on using coconut oil. WW SmartPoints: 10
I like to eat this a number of ways, including:
- Atop my Oatmeal Pancakes
- With a dollop of Greek yogurt and a sprinkle of cinnamon
- With a splash of Homemade Coconut Milk and a handful of Buckwheat Granola