This is an easy recipe for a small, grain-free lava cake, which is naturally high in protein.
Valentine's Day is next Wednesday, didjaknow?
I don't much care for the holiday other than to use it as an excuse to gorge myself with the almighty cocoa bean. This year, Mr. Oatmeal will be working, so I'll be taking full advantage of the side drawer of chocolate in the fridge.
For years, I've been trying to create a lava cake that made me proud, and this one sure does!
I've probably made this about 15 times in the last month, making little tweaks here and there, testing out different bake times, different amounts of baking powder and sugar. I was bound and determined to have this up in time for V-Day!
All the while, my family has happily eaten the trials, never complaining. Imagine that?
^^That's TRUE lava, I didn't add that in!
Tips to keep the cake from sticking
- First, oil or butter the inside of your ramekin very well.
- Then, set the ramekin on a piece of parchment paper and trace around it with a pencil.
- Cut just inside the traced line on the paper.
- Fit the cut piece of paper into the ramekin, pressing it into the corners and smoothing out any wrinkles or bubbles.
- Oil the top of the paper and then flour the pan, using a small tea strainer to evenly distribute the flour. To keep it grain-free, use cocoa powder.
- Add the batter and proceed with the recipe.
I use my Homemade Coconut Milk in this recipe. The 'fattier' the milk, the better the consistency. Heavy cream or the fattiest coconut milk is most ideal, depending on what you tolerate.
Prepping the ramekin (see above Notes)...
Mixing the dry ingredients...
Add in the wet ingredients...
Whisk all until smooth...
One of my favorite attributes of this recipe is how easy it is.
Mix everything together in a small bowl, pour into a ramekin, bake, and eat! No messing with the melting of chocolate or butter, which I personally hate. This is pure chocolat-y bliss in an effortless flash!
A word of advice: If you're sharing, you might consider making two!
Healthy Grain-Free Lava Cake
- 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder well packed
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- good dash sea salt
- 1 Tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tablespoon milk of choice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- chocolate chips as/if desired
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the cocoa, baking powder, salt and sugar together in a small bowl.
- Whisk in the egg, milk, and vanilla until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the batter into a small, VERY well-oiled ramekin (mine is an eight ounce). See tips below for how to keep the cake from sticking!
- Bake for 10-11 minutes (middle should still be jiggly).
- Cool for 3-5 minutes and carefully run a knife or silicone spatula around the edge of the cake.
- Invert the ramekin onto a small plate, tapping the bottom to release the cake.
If you have a chance to try this recipe, please leave a star rating and a comment below letting me know how you liked it!
I lava this cake❤🌋