Delicious sweet potato wedges that are perfectly seasoned – A crispy outer shell surrounds soft and creamy sweet potato flesh.
Growing up, I hated sweet potatoes.
Because we ate a lot of red potatoes, the concept of a potato being ‘sweet’ was terribly off-putting to me.
I can’t remember the first time I actually gave them a shot, but they’re now a regular part of my diet. They make a great grain-free side, and the soft flesh works nicely in treats like brownies, cakes, and frosting.
Most people on the hunt for a fry recipe, are looking for a long, skinny, crispy morsel, which these are not.
These have lightly crisped shells which are surrounding a soft, creamy, toothsome bite. They’re the type of ‘fry’ you want when you’re looking to enjoy the actual taste of the sweet potato.
I made these this weekend for my girls and served them alongside burgers.
They were gone in a flash, and I could tell they gave the girls some good ebullient energy for the rest of the day. That’s when you know food is good, when it makes you FEEL good!
I have a few tricks for making these the best they can be:
- Preheat your baking sheets. I find that this helps them bake better, creating a more even browning. I like to view this as a kind of ‘head start’ on the whole process.
- Give the wedges a rinse with cold water. Because I wasn’t looking for a super crispy fry with this recipe, there’s no soaking. A good rinse, however, still gets rid of that outside layer of starch, allowing for a crisper shell.
- Oil the parchment paper! Unless you really coat the wedges in oil, you’re bound to get some stickage. Save yourself the grief and pre-grease.
Enjoy these alongside some Homemade Ketchup or even mayo, if you’re into that. They’re so delicious, though, they don’t even need it! 🙂
These sweet potato wedges have lightly crisped outsides surrounding a soft and creamy flesh.
- 1 Tbsp oil (I use avocado or coconut)
- 1 pound sweet potatoes wedged
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Scrub the sweet potato(es) clean.
Cut the potatoes into wedges...first, cut off the ends. Then, cut the potato in half. Cut each half in half, lengthwise. Finally, cut them into 4-5 wedges, lengthwise again.
Rinse the wedges with cold water for 10-15 seconds and pat dry.
In a large bowl, mix the oil with the seasonings.
Toss the wedges with the seasoned oil, using your hands to coat each one.
Spread them out on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet that has been lightly greased. They should have ample room and not be touching.
Bake them for 20 minutes.
Flip them over and bake for another 8-12 minutes. Watch them closely those last few minutes, they should be dark golden brown, not black.
- Cool a bit and enjoy!
Adapted from Mark Bittman
Nutrition facts based on using avocado oil. WW SmartPoints: 8
Some of the items I use to create this recipe: