Delicious sweet potato wedges that are perfectly seasoned - A crispy outer shell surrounds soft and creamy sweet potato flesh.
Growing up, I hated sweet potatoes.
Because we ate a lot of red potatoes, the concept of a potato being 'sweet' was terribly off-putting to me.
I can't remember the first time I actually gave them a shot, but they're now a regular part of my diet. They make a great grain-free side, and the soft flesh works nicely in treats like brownies, cakes, and frosting.
Most people on the hunt for a fry recipe, are looking for a long, skinny, crispy morsel, which these are not.
These have lightly crisped shells which are surrounding a soft, creamy, toothsome bite. They're the type of 'fry' you want when you're looking to enjoy the actual taste of the sweet potato.
I made these this weekend for my girls and served them alongside burgers.
They were gone in a flash, and I could tell they gave the girls some good ebullient energy for the rest of the day. That's when you know food is good, when it makes you FEEL good!
I have a few tricks for making these the best they can be:
- Preheat your baking sheets. I find that this helps them bake better, creating a more even browning. I like to view this as a kind of 'head start' on the whole process.
- Give the wedges a rinse with cold water. Because I wasn't looking for a super crispy fry with this recipe, there's no soaking. A good rinse, however, still gets rid of that outside layer of starch, allowing for a crisper shell.
- Oil the parchment paper! Unless you really coat the wedges in oil, you're bound to get some stickage. Save yourself the grief and pre-grease.
Enjoy these alongside some Homemade Ketchup or even mayo, if you're into that. They're so delicious, though, they don't even need it! 🙂
Healthy Sweet Potato Wedges
- 1 Tbsp oil (I use avocado or coconut)
- 1 pound sweet potatoes wedged
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Scrub the sweet potato(es) clean.
- Cut the potatoes into wedges...first, cut off the ends. Then, cut the potato in half. Cut each half in half, lengthwise. Finally, cut them into 4-5 wedges, lengthwise again.
- Rinse the wedges with cold water for 10-15 seconds and pat dry.
- In a large bowl, mix the oil with the seasonings.
- Toss the wedges with the seasoned oil, using your hands to coat each one.
- Spread them out on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet that has been lightly greased. They should have ample room and not be touching.
- Bake them for 20 minutes.
- Flip them over and bake for another 8-12 minutes. Watch them closely those last few minutes, they should be dark golden brown, not black.
- Cool a bit and enjoy!
Some of the items I use to create this recipe:
DROOL!! I can't wait to try this! Please keep these mouthwatering recipes coming!