What is a pizookie you may be wondering?
Though I probably could have guessed by the title, my husband was the one to enlighten me.
Apparently, some wise person had the culinary fortitude to combine two of America’s favorite treats: pizza and cookies. This is pizza only to the extent that the size of this cookie is about five times larger than a regular cookie.
Some years back, my husband and one of his old college wrestling buddies went to a popular restaurant here in Tucson where he partook of his first pizookie. He’s been smitten ever since, so I wanted to recreate the popular dessert for him.
I’ve been working on this recipe for quite a while, ending up with many crumbly failures, but I recently found the perfect combination of ingredients that will have you wondering how in the world this is healthy…(er). 🙂
Healthy Chocolate Chip Pizookie (Vegan, GF)
- 6 T. oats ground into flour
- 2 T. buckwheat flour
- 2 T. coconut sugar you can also use brown sugar
- 2 T. maple syrup
- 2 T. coconut oil
- 1/4 t. sea salt
- 1/4 t. baking soda
- 1/8 t. cinnamon
- 1/2-1 t. water just enough to bring the ingredients together
- 2 T. chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Oil a small cast iron skillet (about 6-7 inches in diameter). You can also use a small pie pan or ramekin.
- Mix all of the ingredients together until well combined.
- Scrape the batter into the oiled skillet.
- Bake 11-14 minutes, until the top doesn't appear glossy and the edges are slightly browned.
- Let cool for at least 10 minutes (this allows it to set, so don't move it).
- Cut and enjoy!
Crispy edges along with a chewy, chocolat-y center make this incredible (think Toll House)!
We all enjoyed this with a dollop of whipped coconut cream, but it you’re feeling really indulgent, I bet a scoop of dairy-free vanilla ice cream would be delicious too!
My husband declared this to be better than his collegiate treat, which made me ecstatic!
Have you ever had a pizookie?