These chocolate chip chickpea flour cookies are the perfect allergy-friendly treat! They're made without grains, nuts, or eggs, and they're incredibly delicious!
What's special about these cookies is that they're made with chickpea flour.
Chickpea flour is made from dried garbanzo beans, and you may be familiar with it if you've ever made socca.
My husband thinks these taste like a 'healthy Chips Ahoy', and the kids all love them!
Many readers feel the same, just have a peek at the comments!
What makes these cookies incredible
You may not think that such a savory flour would work well in a dessert, but the stuff actually makes one helluva cookie!
This recipe is made in ONE bowl, so there's no need to use multiple bowls or separate the dry and wet ingredients.
In addition, you only need ONE flour, no gums or starches!
They're grain-free, gluten-free, nut-free, dairy-free, and egg-free.
Chickpea flour is also low oxalate, which is great for those suffering with pain and/or bladder issues.
- Chickpea flour
- Baking soda
- Sea salt
- Coconut sugar (or any granulated sugar)
- Coconut oil
- Maple syrup
- Vanilla extract
- Chocolate chips
In a large bowl, stir together all of the dry ingredients, including the sugar.
Then, stir in the wet ingredients. You can add them all at once, no need to mix them together in a separate bowl.
Roll the dough into eight balls and flatten them on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
After they come out, press down on them gently with a fork. This trick expels the air and makes for a better texture!
DON'T eat the dough! Chickpea flour tastes horrible raw.
Be sure to bake the cookies thoroughly. If you don't, the cookies will have a chickpea flour taste.
The original publishing of this recipe included 1/8 teaspoon of powdered stevia. I've eliminated that, as I find them sweet enough without it. If you have a heavy duty sweet tooth, include it!
This is the chickpea flour I like to use.
More chocolate chip cookies
If you're looking to try a few new flours, give one of these recipes a shot!
Watch the video below showing you just how to make them!
Chickpea Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies
- ¾ cup + 1 Tablespoon chickpea flour (about 105 grams)
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 Tablespoons coconut sugar
- 3 Tablespoons coconut oil melted before measuring
- 3 Tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons water
- ¼ cup chopped dark chocolate or chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the dry ingredients together (flour, salt, baking soda, sugar).
- Stir in the oil, maple syrup, vanilla, and water (the dough should be very thick).
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Roll the dough into eight balls and place them onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Press down on the top of each ball of dough to flatten a bit.
- Bake 14-16 minutes until lightly golden. Please see Recipe Notes for more about baking.
- After removing the baking sheet from the oven, press down on the top of each cookie lightly with a fork to flatten them a bit. This is compacts the cookie, giving it a chewy center and crisp edges.
- Cool the cookies completely and enjoy!
If you have a chance to try this recipe, please leave a star rating and a comment below letting me know how you liked it!