Lemon Herb Quinoa - Quinoa made with various herbs and fresh lemon juice. This recipe is a delicious side dish and goes very well with chicken or fish.
I unofficially share my home with three miniature food critics and a fourth is quickly blossoming.
What's great about kids is their honesty, in all situations.
What stinks about kids is their honesty, in all situations.
No one hesitates to tell me what I'm wearing looks 'weird', or that my music selection for any particular car ride is lacking, and they certainly don't bat an eyelash at moaning with displeasure over my choice of meals.
'Awwww, chicken and rice again?...'
Yes, my darling dears...oh how you complete my life and make me feel so loved!
Kid-pleasing or not?
Despite mixed feelings in our house regarding quinoa, I love this dish!
My tots are generally fans of plain quinoa, but this recipe is a bit more sophisticated, palate-wise.
I ordinarily mix quinoa in with other veggies, so this is a nice change. I love the addition of herbs and lemon, and it pairs very well with just about anything!
Other quinoa favorites!
Peanut Butter Quinoa Energy Balls
Quinoa Pizza Crust
Mexican Quinoa and Bean Casserole
Lemon Herb Quinoa
- 1 T olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 c quinoa uncooked, rinsed, and drained
- 1 t dried oregano
- ½ t dried thyme
- ½ t dried rosemary
- 1 - 1 ½ c water plus more as needed
- 2 T lemon juice
- zest of one lemon
- ½ t sea salt more to taste
- ¼ t black pepper
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley chopped fine
STOVE TOP INSTRUCTIONS:
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan.
- Add the garlic and cook for about 15 seconds.
- Stir in the rinsed and drained quinoa and cook 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the oregano, thyme, rosemary, and 1 1/3 cups water.
- Bring the mix to a boil, then reduce the heat to low.
- Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Check the quinoa at this time to see if you need more water (I always seem to need much less water than a recipe calls for when cooking grains, so be aware.)
- Once cooked through, stir in the lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and parsley.
- Check for seasoning and serve!
INSTANT POT INSTRUCTIONS:
- Press the 'SAUTE' button on your Instant Pot.
- Add in the oil and garlic, and cook for about 15 seconds.
- Stir in the quinoa, herbs, and ONE CUP of water.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and set the steam valve to 'SEALING'.
- Set the timer to two minutes on high pressure.
- After this time, allow the quinoa to sit UNTOUCHED for ten minutes. Instant Pot screen will read: LO10.
- Release remaining pressure manually.
- Stir in the lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and parsley.
- Check for seasoning and serve!
This is the Instant Pot model I use.
My water amount for cooking grains always seems to be less than what is called for on packaging, so use your best judgment. If the quinoa isn't done after 15 minutes, and the water has evaporated, add a bit more water as needed and continue cooking for another 3-5 minutes.
Some of the items I use to make this recipe include:
This is a great light little dish! Your sammy is adorable! He should be a baby model!!!!!
I love the simplicity of this recipe, yet it would be infused with deliciousness.
Haha kids are super transparent little people, aren't they??? ;p
This looks great! I love quinoa but never thought to do a lemon herb version. Great idea - and it looks like the kiddos like it. 🙂
We loved having you link up with us for #HealthyVeganFridays! I’m Pinning and sharing!