Low Sugar Breakfast Cookies – Easy and delicious low sugar breakfast cookies that are healthy enough to eat any time of the day! Gluten-free, vegan, and highly customizable to your taste.
It’s my birthday!
Birthday breakfast cookies, anyone?…
Mornings around here can be pretty hectic.
We get up, get ready, and eat breakfast all in the space of about 60 minutes.
Because our time is limited, the breakfasts I make have to be quick, easy, healthy, and delicious.
I’ve never subscribed to the idea of a ‘breakfast cookie’. If I’m having a treat, I prefer it to be after lunch or dinner, but this recipe is different.
Only ONE tablespoon of added sweetener and gobs of nutrition from ingredients like oats and pumpkin. This is a morning treat I can get behind.
How to customize your low sugar cookies
The kids just love these! They also make great snacks if you don’t finish the whole batch.
This recipe is for a small batch, as I like to make them fresh.
You can vary the add-ins as you wish. My daughters enjoy raisins, pumpkin seeds, and coconut, but you can use any nut, seed, or dried fruit you like. Just keep the amount to around 1/4 cup total.
However you make these, I hope you enjoy them!
Low Sugar Breakfast Cookies
- 1/2 c rolled oats
- 1/2 c brown rice flour
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1 T sugar (I use coconut sugar)
- 1/4 t sea salt
- 1/2 t cinnamon
- 1/8 t nutmeg
- 1/8 t allspice
- 1/8 t cloves
- 1/4 c applesauce
- 1/4 c pumpkin puree
- 2 T oil of your choice
- 2 T milk of your choice
- 1 t vanilla
- 1/4 c add-ins of your choice (nuts, seeds, dried fruit, chocolate chips, coconut, etc.)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix the oats, flour, baking soda, sugar, salt, and spices.
- To the same bowl, stir in the remaining ingredients, including your add-ins.
- Dollop the batter onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet (this makes eight cookies).
- Bake 12-15 minutes until golden.
- Cool and enjoy!
If you don’t have pumpkin puree handy, you can use applesauce in its place.
Some of the items I use in this recipe include: