This delicious kale salad is packed full of vegetables and flavor. The bitter greens are offset by the addition of dried cranberries and a honey lemon dressing, while pumpkin seeds and goat cheese add a savory crunch and a salty bite!
With all of my healthy recipes, I had never properly attempted the 'massaged' kale salad, until just recently.
One afternoon, in need of something nutritious, I decided to give kale a go, and I'm so happy I did!
I've been reading about massaged kale salads for years, but can only now tell you they really are delicious! The massaging step makes the typically fibrous, hard-to-eat plant much more palatable and it infuses the dressing into each bite.
Tossed with a few other vegetables, sweet cranberries, crunchy pumpkin seeds, and creamy goat cheese, this salad becomes a colorful feast for the mouth!
After I made this salad for the first time, I realized that the red and green colors from the added ingredients would make this a perfect recipe to close out 2014 with, so I hope you get a chance to enjoy this soon!
I love how pretty the red and green colors look, and the feta cheese sprinkled over the top gives the appearance of snow! 🙂
Healthy Kale Salad
- 4 large kale leaves curly variety, de-stemmed and torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon raw honey or maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- black pepper to taste
- ⅓ cup red bell pepper chopped
- 3 Tablespoons red onion sliced into thin strips
- 3 Tablespoons dried cranberries
- 3 Tablespoons raw pumpkin seeds
- 3 Tablespoons goat cheese crumbled
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, lemon juice, honey or maple syrup, salt, and pepper.
- Add in the kale and 'massage' the leaves with clean hands, working in the dressing to each leaf (30-60 seconds).
- Toss with the remaining ingredients.
If you have a chance to try this recipe, please leave a star rating and a comment below letting me know how you liked it!