My Favorite Fried Rice – This simple-to-follow recipe is made with basic ingredients. Stir in a handful of scallions and serve it with your choice of vegetable and/or protein for a delicious meal.
From what I remember, my first experience with fried rice was back in Mesa, Arizona.
My dad and I would go pick up Chinese food from a place down the road once or twice a month. Egg rolls, chow mein, and fried rice abounded, along with various other main dishes.
We’d always get the above three, as well as one or two chicken entrees.
Fried rice was my personal pleasure, and I’ve been trying to make it on my own for years.
I’ve come up with some decent facsimiles over time, but this one is now my all-time fave!
Do you need to use cooked rice?
As annoying as it may be, I’ve found that yes, cooked rice is important. It will obviously work with freshly cooked rice, but the rice grains don’t fry as well and become ‘sticky’.
I prefer to use cooked brown, long-grain basmati rice.
The essential fried rice ingredients
My personal essentials for this recipe are as follows:
-red pepper flakes
-molasses or honey
The teeny bit of added sweetener serves to help caramelize the rice grains and balance out the saltiness of the soy sauce. I’ve made the dish without the sweetener, and prefer the recipe with it.
I like to serve this with a fried egg and my 10-Minute Broccoli.
Stir in some leftover rotisserie chicken, if you like, for an extra protein boost!
However you serve this, I hope you enjoy my version of fried rice!
Egg-Free Fried Rice
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil
- 3 cups cooked brown or white long-grain rice
- 2 scallions chopped
- 1-2 tsp rice vinegar
- 4 tsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp freshly ginger grated
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 tsp honey or molasses
- pinch red pepper flakes
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the sauce (soy sauce, ginger, garlic, molasses, red pepper flakes).
- Heat the sesame oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Add the cooked rice to the pan.
- Toss the rice with the sauce mixture.
- Spread the rice flat in the skillet and let it cook (untouched) for five minutes over medium low heat.
- Give the rice a stir and continue to let it fry for another minute or so.
- Stir in the scallions and rice vinegar to your liking.
- Season with extra salt, if desired.
If you’re looking for the best fried egg to pair this fried rice with, this post on how to fry an egg might interest you!
Some of the items I use to make this recipe include:
Heating the skillet…
Add the rice…
Toss with the ‘sauce’…
Spread and fry…
Shared with: Inspire Me Monday