Low Sugar Chocolate Chip Cookies – My husband loves these vegan chocolate chip cookies! They are whole grain, egg-free, and have less than five grams of sugar per cookie!
When your husband adamantly states that ‘these are his favorite chocolate chip cookies’, and follows it up with a ‘don’t change the recipe!’, you pay attention.
The hubs and I view desserts differently.
I want a ‘skinny’ treat every day…he wants a ‘fat-boy’ treat once a week.
I gravitate more towards recipes with very little or no added sweetener like this Chocolate Cake to get my fix.
My hubby, on the other hand, wants to feel like he’s indulging a bit when eating a treat, so he likes his desserts a bit sweeter…and pumped full of chocolate chips.
We recently debated the difference of adding actual preformed chocolate chips versus adding chopped dark chocolate to a recipe.
My take: I can chop a dark chocolate bar and an unsweetened chocolate bar together, thus ‘tricking’ my taste buds a bit. Chopping the chocolate also makes it go farther, permeating more surface area of the cookie.
His take: Plain and simple, he wants a big bite of chocolate that reminds him of eating Chips Ahoy.
I may be biased, but my view is better. 🙂
Isn’t this just the typical man versus woman convo? My complicated, over-analytical, trying-to-maintain-my-girlish-figure-after-three-kids approach and his simple, gimme-my-treat-now-I’ll-consider-the-consequences-another-day attitude.
I often marvel at the differences between men and women. Seemingly, men compartmentalize everything and only deal with one task at a time. As my husband puts it when I try to give him more than one thing to do, ‘my shot glass is full’.
Women, alternatively, are in a state of constant mental ‘buzz’.
Cookies are cookies for men. Plain, simple…’gimme cookie, eat cookie’. Women connect cookies to their health, their figure, how many calories this leaves them for the rest of the day, the gym time needed to work off said cookie, etcetera. These are the things that make life (and marriage) interesting though, heh?
In any gender case, because my cute Neanderthal enjoyed these so much, I wanted to post them here for you all today. Enjoy!
My Hubby's Favorite Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 1/4 c . whole wheat flour
- 1 c . oats
- 1/4 c . unsweetened grated coconut
- 1/2 t . sea salt
- 1/2 t . baking powder
- 1/2 t . baking soda
- 2 T . coconut sugar
- 1/4 c . olive oil
- 1/4 c . coconut oil , melted
- 1/4 c . applesauce
- 2 T . maple syrup
- 1 T . vanilla extract
- 12 drops liquid stevia
- 1/4-1/3 c . chocolate chips , as desired
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk the dry ingredients (flour, oats, coconut, salt, baking powder, baking soda, coconut sugar).
- Mix the wet ingredients in a separate larger bowl (oils, applesauce, maple syrup, vanilla, stevia).
- Mix all along with the chocolate chips until well combined.
- Using your hands, form about 15-18 balls of dough.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- With each ball, press down with your fingers to flatten the dough a bit (fyi, these cookies do not spread when baking).
- Bake 15-17 minutes until golden.
- Cool 5-10 minutes before eating.
Adapted from Two Peas and Their Pod
When measuring your flour, don’t pack it in or the cookies will end up dry.
Add in one teaspoon of cinnamon if you love it like me!