A delicious 'cream' sauce made from yellow onions, water, olive oil, and a few spices; allergy-friendly, easy to make, and healthy to eat!
In a sense, this is a repeat recipe.
I originally posted it with my Butter-Free, Milk-Free Creamy Scalloped Potatoes, but I really really feel like it deserves its own devoted piece of the blog.
I've been using this delicious puree in many a-casserole. That includes a chicken and wild rice ditty that I'm hoping will soon make an appearance.
Whenever I make that particular recipe, everyone goes back for seconds and even thirds! It's a big hit here.
It's also been awhile since I made a video!
I started mulling it over on Wednesday, and resolved to get one done the next day.
These types of resolutions are typically in vain, as it often depends on the temperament of a certain someone...
Wouldn't you know it, though, daddy came to the rescue and babysat our little devil.
Natalie was a great little helper and makes a couple of unexpected appearances in the video. I hope you enjoy the following tutorial for onion cream sauce!
Onion Cream Sauce
- 1 c . water
- 2 yellow onions , sliced
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4-1/2 t . red pepper flakes
- ½ t . dried thyme
- ½ t . sea salt
- 2 T . olive oil
- juice 1/2 lemon , optional
- Heat the water in a pan.
- Add in the onions, garlic, bay leaves, red pepper flakes, thyme, and salt.
- Bring the heat up to a simmer.
- Cover tightly, reduce the heat to medium low, and cook for 20 minutes, stirring a few times during this process.
- Blend the onion mixture with the olive oil and lemon juice, if using, until smooth and well combined.
- Add in another splash of water if you desire a thinner consistency.
- Taste and season more, if necessary.
- Use as an allergy-friendly cream sauce in your favorite recipes!
Nutrition facts include the entire recipe, assuming you use it as a whole like I do.
Use this puree as an allergy-friendly replacement for cream sauces.
If you like the above videos and would like to see more, please subscribe to my YouTube channel found here. Thank you!