Chocolate pudding is a snack adored by both kids and adults.
This healthy version of it is made with the ever-popular ingredient, gelatin.
I’ve been taking gelatin on and off since I was a teenager, primarily for hair and nails, but it can also help with other areas.
It boasts a high amount of protein, as well as collagen, both of which make it useful for myriad ailments.
Though I wasn’t allowed to have junk food as a kid, I still managed to get my hands on someone’s Jell-O Pudding Snack, which is what today’s recipe is fashioned after.
When I was younger, I often found myself OVER-indulging in junk food when I had access to it, simply because I felt so deprived! I specifically remember a high school sleepover involving my best friend Holly, microwave burritos, and all of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre films. Needless to say, I didn’t sleep the best that night.
This healthy alternative to the popular snack is sweetened with a modest amount of honey, and is absolutely delicious!
Chocolate Pudding Snacks
- 1 1/2 c. milk of choice divided
- 2 T. honey
- 2 T. cocoa powder
- 2 1/4 t. gelatin powder (1/4 ounce packet)
- pinch sea salt
- 1 t. vanilla
- 10-15 drops of liquid stevia
- Warm one cup of the milk in a small saucepan.
- In a medium-size bowl, sprinkle the gelatin over 1/2 cup of cold milk and let stand about one minute.
- Stir the honey into the warmed milk until well combined.
- Whisk the gelatin/milk mix until gelatin dissolves, and add in the warm milk mix, along with the rest of the ingredients.
- Stir until everything is well combined.
- Divide the mix between two small bowls, and place in the fridge until firm (1-2 hours).
- Top with extra shaved chocolate and coconut cream (if desired), and enjoy!
We had fun topping these with some shaved dark chocolate and vanilla coconut whipped cream, and at only 136 calories, there’s no guilt to be had for this little indulgence!
What unhealthy food have you ever overindulged in?
Aside from my burrito binge, my friends and I used to ride our bikes to the local convenience store and load up on everything from candy bars to beef jerky (ewww…).