I can’t remember the first time I tried lentils, but I DO know that it was love at first bite….
Red, green, brown, French…I love them all! They all have a unique taste and texture, and I have a favorite recipe for each type. This is my favorite way to eat the French lentils….
French lentils are the heartiest of the bunch. They maintain their shape well with heat, and they give soup a nice ‘bite’. Also known for their iron and protein content, lentils make a fantastic and filling meal.
I love making a big pot for dinner and having the leftovers for lunch the next few days. My picky daughters and meat-adoring hubby all adore this soup, and I hope you will too!
Perfect Lentil Soup
- 2 T. butter coconut oil, or olive oil
- 1 c. yellow onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves about 1 T., minced
- 2 medium carrots chopped
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 3/4 c. lentils French, green, or brown all work
- 1/2 t. cumin
- 1/2 t. dried thyme
- 6 c. water
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 T. tomato paste
- 3/4 t. sea salt plus more to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 3 T. fresh parsley chopped
- 2 t. red wine or apple cider vinegar
- freshly grated parmesan optional, for serving
- Heat the butter or oil in a large pot.
- Add the onion and saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add the carrot and celery, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, and cook for 30 seconds, just to bring out the flavor.
- Stir in the lentils and spices.
- Add the water, tomato paste, salt, and bay leaf.
- Stir everything, and bring it all to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer, and let the soup cook for about 45-60 minutes (uncovered), until lentils are tender, but not mushy.
- Stir in the parsley and vinegar.
- Serve with freshly grated parmesan, if desired.
Adapted from this recipe
I’m estimating that this makes about 8 bowls (not cups), but that’s a bit subjective to each eater.
Low in fat…calories…sugar…Weight Watchers points…this is a great meal to add to your recipe box. 🙂
What’s your favorite soup?
As a kid, I loved Campbell’s Chicken Noodle, but these days I’m digging lentil, bean, and minestrone soups.
Shared with: Healthy Vegan Friday