I absolutely love quesadillas.
My husband and I have eaten them quite frequently throughout our life together, usually with my Flax Tortillas, but for this recipe, I wanted to create a paleo tortilla using eggplant.
Eggplant seemed like the perfect thing to try here for a number of reasons, including its soft texture, mellow taste, and tan color. This recipe is great because it's highly versatile, depending on your diet. I like a combination of black beans, vegetables, cilantro, and cheese. If you're paleo, use ground beef in place of the beans, and eliminate the cheese. Vegans, add a dash of nutritional yeast for a cheesy flavor. Anyway you make them, they are dee-licious!
Quesadillas with Eggplant 'Tortillas'
- 12 eggplant rounds about 1/3 inch thick
- salt for salting the eggplant slices
- olive oil for brushing the eggplant slices
- 1 t. coconut oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 c. mushrooms chopped
- ½ c. zucchini chopped
- ½ c. black beans vegan or cooked ground beef (paleo)
- 1 t. taco spice** see link below or a 1/2 t. chili powder, 1/4 t. cumin, 1/4 t. oregano
- 2 T. cilantro chopped
- 6 slices tomato
- sea salt to taste
- cheese or nutritional yeast if desired
- salsa avocado, for topping, if desired
- Sprinkle both sides of the eggplant rounds with salt.
- Lay them out on paper towels, and let them 'sweat' for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven 400 degrees.
- Press down on the eggplant slices with another paper towel to absorb as much water as you can, being careful to maintain the structure of each slice.
- Brush each side of the eggplant rounds with a bit of olive oil (just kissing each slice).
- Place the rounds onto a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Bake for another 10 minutes.
- Remove (leave oven on).
- Heat the coconut oil in a skillet.
- Saute the garlic for about 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add in the mushrooms, zucchini, and taco seasoning, and saute for about five minutes.
- Stir in the beans or beef and warm through.
- Remove the skillet from the heat, and stir in the cilantro and salt (to taste).
- Divide the mushroom mix equally among six of the 12 eggplant rounds.
- Top with a slice of tomato and cheese, if desired.
- Place another eggplant slice on top, and bake the quesadillas for five minutes.
- Top with salsa or guacamole or enjoy as is!
To make your own taco seasoning, check out this recipe.
These would make a cool appetizer if you're having a soiree of any sort. They hold together well, and they're really light in the tummy.
Low in calories, but not in taste! 😀
What's your favorite way to use eggplant?
I used to make a salad with roasted eggplant, tomato, parsley, olive oil, and apple cider vinegar that was pretty good. For me, roasted eggplant by itself is scrumptious!
Shared with: Make Your Own Monday, Natural Living Monday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Allergy-Free Wednesday, Gluten-Free Wednesday
Those quesadillas look so delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe. I'll try them at home..
I adore eggplant. Can't wait to try these!
LOVING this for a Tex-Mex option...I am am mostly paleo...and love the idea of eggplant for tortillas...as well as the nutritional yeast for the cheese factor!...I can give my family the real-deal cheese...but I personally lack a digestive enzyme for proper dairy processing!
You are a creative culinary wizard..and I thank you for sharing this wonder of a recipe with all of us!
Haha, thank you Donna for your sweet (and ego-boosting) comment! 😀
Mmm, these look yummy! I have an eggplant in my fridge that I need to use - so this is perfect.
Thanks for sharing on Natural Living Monday. Off to pin! 🙂
Gabby @ the veggie nook
So interesting Lauren! Your creativity never ceases to amaze me 🙂
So much creativity has gone into this dish! Love the flavour combinations too... can't wait to try it!
GiGi Eats Celebrities
YUM!!!!! I love this so so much! Eggplant is one of my favorites, I just don't cook it too often. I would have to eat about 20 of those to get full though, lol. Good appetizers though!
I always make eggplant chips when I cook eggplant. Oregano and salt - YUM 🙂
So, SOOO smart. You rock girl.
Davida @The Healthy Maven
Such a creative recipe! Love the idea of using eggplant instead of tortillas. YUM!
Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl
This is an absolutely fabulous idea! I will be picking up an eggplant this weekend at the store to give this a try. 😉
Thanks Kim! 🙂
What other veggie could you use instead of eggplant? These look great, but eggplant is not good for FODMAPS or inflammation. Thanks!!!
I'm not sure...I made the recipe with eggplant in mind. You might try a heartier vegetable with a thick middle like rutabaga?