You can’t have Christmas without eggnog, right?…
…and since I can’t submerge myself in a vat of my favorite store-bought variety this year, I knew I had to concoct my own dairy-free version (and it wouldn’t hurt if it was a bit less than 10,000 calories per sip).
Growing up, it seemed like eggnog was a staple during the holidays. That, along with making Christmas cookies, watching Clark Griswold’s painful house decorating experience, and belting out Gene Autry’s Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, were classic moments in the making.
Though I love the vegan nog I made last year, this year, I wanted something a bit more true to the traditional variety, sans alcohol and copious fat grams. 🙂
Skinny Eggnog (Paleo)
- 1 c. light coconut milk
- 1 c. dairy-free milk such as almond or hemp
- 3 T. coconut sugar
- 1/8 t. + 1/16 t. powdered stevia extract
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 t. vanilla
- pinch sea salt
- 1 t. freshly grated nutmeg
- Beat egg yolks until lighter in color.
- Add in sugar and stevia and beat until sugar is dissolved.
- Combine milks, salt, and nutmeg in a saucepan, and bring the mix to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pan from the heat, and slowly mix it into the egg/sugar mix, stirring continuously.
- Return everything to the pot, stirring continuously, and heat until temperature reaches 160 degrees, or about 1-2 minutes (don't go longer or it will curdle). I usually turn off the heat after about 30 seconds and let the pan sit there for another minute or so while stirring.
- Add in the vanilla.
- Chill and serve!
Adapted from this recipe
Thick and rich with the classic flavor from the fresh nutmeg, this is one recipe you’ll definitely want to have around for company (haters be-gone!).
Now all I need is the official Glass Moose Mug Set, a la Christmas Vacation, and my yuletide joy will be complete. 😀
Do you drink eggnog? What’s your favorite holiday tradition?
Shared with: Allergy-Free Wednesday