This easy homemade naan recipe is made with wholesome ingredients, including spelt flour, olive oil, and yogurt. It's a great accoutrement to soup, stew, Indian dal or even as a pizza base.
Growing up, my dad was the cook of our house.
Some of his best dishes were pizza (he'd make both the dough and the sauce), chicken fajitas with all the fixings, including rice and beans, and homemade submarine sandwiches with soup, often beef barley.
As a teenager, I had a job just down the street from our house, and on my lunch breaks, I'd actually return home for that delicious soup and sandwich combo.
I thought of his pizza dough while making this bread, as I remember him kneading his dough and covering it to rise, little Lauren in the foreground, pinching off yeasty bites for consumption.
While there's no yeast, this flatbread is reminiscent of my dad's pizza dough, though more nutritious!
Use a dairy-free yogurt, if needed.
Instead of water, use milk of your choice for more richness.
My favorite spelt flour to use is this one.
Easy Naan Bread (NO Yeast)
- 2 cups spelt flour plus more for kneading and rolling
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- 3 Tablespoons plain yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons applesauce
- 1 ½ Tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup water
- Mix the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt).
- Stir in the wet ingredients (yogurt, applesauce, oil. water; using the same bowl is fine).
- Stir until everything is well combined.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and knead it a bit, adding flour as necessary so that the dough is no longer sticky.
- Set the ball of dough aside and cover it with a damp towel.
- Let sit for 20-30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Knead the dough again for 1-2 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 4-8 pieces, as desired.
- Lightly flour your surface and roll each ball of dough into an oval shape.
- Place the pieces onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Lightly brush each side of the bread with olive oil.
- Bake for 8-9 minutes.
If you have a chance to try this recipe, please leave a star rating and a comment below letting me know how you liked it!