I love cinnamon.
It’s the perfect accoutrement to any sweet treat, and it’s both a bonus and a convenience that it aids with balancing blood sugar.
I also love pudding.
As I was making this, I wondered, ‘is there a dessert that I don’t like?’. The only thing that came to mind was baked Alaska. Granted, I’ve never even had baked Alaska, but it has never looked like something that would appeal to me. Too many flavors and textures going on.
Pudding. Pudding is nice. One texture, one flavor, only 5 minutes of work. Yup, that’s more my speed.
Texture is a huge part of whether a food is good or not, particularly a pudding. I wanted this pudding to be smooth and creamy, not chunky or grainy, and though avocado is typically responsible for providing the creamy texture, this pudding’s luxuriousness comes from just three major ingredients: dates, milk, and cocoa powder.
Sugar-Free Chocolate Cinnamon Pudding/Frosting (Avocado-Free, Vegan, Paleo)
- 10 large soft dates I use Medjool
- 8-10 T. dairy-free milk
- 1/4 c. cocoa powder
- 1/2 t. vanilla
- pinch sea salt
- 1/4 t. cinnamon
- Process the dates into a paste (put the dates in the processor and run it until the dates break down, then become a ball of paste-y goo).
- Add in the remaining ingredients, beginning with eight tablespoons of milk and adding more as you need to get the right consistency.
- Process the mix until smooth and creamy, scraping down the side as necessary.
- Garnish with more cinnamon or cacao nibs.
- Chill, if desired, or enjoy as is.
Though I often eat this pudding-style, it can also double as a frosting for cupcakes or cake. In that case, I usually add a tablespoon of coconut oil to give it a bit more richness and help it hold shape in the refrigerator.
I hadn’t thought of posting this until I started seeing so many people wary of avocado pudding. Though delicious, I thought those too scared to try it might appreciate this. I definitely have days when my digestion isn’t as strong, so I try to limit a lot of fats in any form (I have trouble with fat in particular). This recipe is great on those days!
What food/recipe are you hesitant to try?
Savory oats. I’ve seen many delicious recipes, but haven’t gotten up the nerve to try them yet!