These sweet and spicy roasted cashews make a delicious snack or accoutrement to salads and desserts. They're quick to make, and they satisfy many tastes all in one scrumptious bite!
Today's recipe is one that I've been making for years!
Raw cashews are coated in a maple syrup-spice mixture and roasted to crunchy, golden perfection. This is truly the elegant counterpart to honey roasted peanuts.
My husband will eat this entire recipe, if not closely monitored.
They make a great snack, salad topping, and I personally think they'd be good atop ice cream as well.
- Raw cashews - You can use whole cashews or pieces.
- Maple syrup
- Chili powder - Make your own fresh chili powder from dried chiles for a superior taste!
- Cayenne - Use this to your taste; if you don't care for much spice, just leave it out.
- Sea salt
Step 1: Begin by mixing the maple syrup with the spices and salt.
Step 2: Add in the cashews and coat them well.
Step 3: Spread them onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
Step 4: Bake until golden.
Step 5: Cool completely.
Be sure to watch the cashews carefully after the 15 minute mark, as they can go from just right to overdone quickly. This is especially important if you have a double oven where the space between the pan and the heat source is reduced.
Allow them to cool completely once you take them out of the oven. This is when they really crisp up!
If you're not a fan of cashews, you might like these Maple Glazed Pecans instead!
Sweet and Spicy Roasted Cashews
- 1 ½ cup raw cashews
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ⅛ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon cayenne depending on how much spice you like
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- In a bowl, mix the maple syrup with the spices and the salt.
- Mix in the cashews (be sure to coat them as best as you can).
- Pour the mixture onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Bake them for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool completely, as this allows them to crisp up.
If you have a chance to try this recipe, please leave a star rating and a comment below letting me know how you liked it!