Say hello to hot chocolate’s angelic counterpart…
I’m attempting to abstain from chocolate for a bit, so I’ve had to get a bit more creative with other flavors in the kitchen.
I recently concocted a healthier marshmallow recipe (using part maple syrup and part stevia). Naturally, I needed a hot and rich drink in which to drown them, but since my husband has a sensitive stomach and chocolate is one of his biggest offenders, I thought this liquid refreshment would be a perfect substitute, as he loves vanilla.
While hot chocolate is difficult to surpass in its culinary excellence, this little beverage makes a great alternative for those who have allergy difficulty with cocoa powder or for children. It also makes a great nightcap because there’s no caffeine to stimulate you and it can be made to be sugar-free, if desired.
Thick and Creamy Hot Vanilla (Dairy-Free, Vegan, Paleo)
- 1 c. non-dairy milk of choice divided
- 1 t. arrowroot
- 2 t. maple syrup or honey or about 8-10 drops stevia
- 3/4 t. vanilla extract
- 5 drops stevia or another teaspoon of sweetener
- dashes of cinnamon and nutmeg about 1/8 teaspoon of each or to taste
- Add 1/2 cup of milk to a saucepan, and begin to heat the milk over medium-low heat.
- Whisk the other 1/2 cup of milk with the arrowroot in a separate bowl.
- Add sweetener along with the milk/arrowroot mixture to the saucepan and stir to combine.
- Continue stirring the mix over medium high heat for about 3-5 minutes until it begins to thicken.
- Once thickened, remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Top with a handful of healthy marshmallows and enjoy!
This is really delicious with freshly grated spices over the top (especially the nutmeg).
This recipe is probably putting the cart before the horse in terms of the marshmallows, but I will have a recipe for them up soon for those of you that were interested. 🙂 They make a great addition to this drink and are delicious for snacking on, teehee.
What’s your favorite cold weather treat?