Back in my high school days, much of my money and my time went towards clothes and food.
I used to be obsessed with the movie Clueless, so many of the clothes I bought came from Contempo Casuals. I had it all going on from the cute, tiny backpack, to the knee-high stockings, to the block heels…like I said, obsessed!
With these many trips to the mall came bouts of gorging myself on Sbarro’s pizza and the ever popular Orange Julius. P.s., did you know the drink is actually named after someone? Julius Freed started an orange juice stand, and him and his buddy came up with the iconic, frothy blend that graces our malls today.
While I still love the delicious beverage, I wanted to make my own allergy-friendly version with no dairy and no refined sugar.
This creamy, slushy blend will shock you with its spot-on likeness to the original.
- 1 c. + 2 T. orange juice divided
- 1/2 c. light coconut milk or another dairy-free milk that you enjoy
- 1 T. honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 t. vanilla
- 2 t. orange zest
- tiny pinch sea salt
- In an ice-cube tray, freeze 3/4 cup plus two tablespoons worth of the orange juice (it should amount to about 6 cubes).
- Once cubes are frozen, blend all of the ingredients until well combined (it should be slushy).
Nutrition facts are based on using unsweetened almond milk and honey. Weight Watchers points (new system): 6
Adapted from this recipe
Would I ever go back to the original?….
…in the words of Cher, ‘as if!’. Not with this healthy doppelgänger. 😀
What movie character have you ever emulated?
Shared with: Healthy Vegan Fridays