So, me and the fam are preparing for our first official road trip this weekend.
It would be no big deal to any normal American family, but for us it’s huge!
You see, since our daughter Jade was born (over four years ago), my husband and I haven’t ventured out much past our front door, and I’m feeling a bit trepidatious.
Despite the fact that it’s only an overnight stay, Jade and I are a bit more high maintenance in that we need to take precautionary everything. Allergy-friendly food to eat and fragrance-free bedding to sleep on, along with the usual clothes, hygiene items, and personal effects are just some of the items on the list for packing.
In the past, I’ve often had trouble with hotel rooms, as they can either have various chemical smells from cleansers or potpourri scents or even strong laundry odors in the sheets and blankets, so I’ve learned to be prepared!
Luckily, there’s a Whole Foods about five miles away from where we’ll be staying, but I’m also planning on bringing a few prepared treats of my own in case I don’t feel like shelling out the extra cash for California prices.
These treats will be the perfect little pick-me-up on our six-hour drive. They’ll easily be kept chilled in our cooler, they’re light and portable, yet nutrient dense, and the creamy sweetness will give my husband and I something to raise our spirits and look forward to!
Chocolate Cookie Dough Candy Bars (Vegan, Gluten-Free)
- COOKIE DOUGH BASE:
- 6 T. coconut oil melted
- 3 T. dairy-free milk of your choice I used homemade coconut
- 1/4 c. maple syrup
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1/4 t. sea salt
- 1/4 t. cinnamon
- 2/3 c. oat flour
- 3 T. cacao nibs or dark chocolate pieces optional
- CHOCOLATE LAYER:
- 1/2 c. cocoa powder
- 1/4 c. maple syrup
- 2 T. coconut oil melted
- 2 T. water
- pinch sea salt
- 1/2 t. vanilla
- Lightly oil a 7 x 5 inch glass baking dish.
- Mix together the ingredients for the cookie dough layer until well combined (try to use room temperature milk or the cold liquid may seize up the coconut oil, making it a bit lumpy).
- Pour the cookie dough layer into the glass dish and place into the refrigerator until slightly firm to the touch.
- Mix together the ingredients for the chocolate layer until well combined.
- Pour atop the cookie dough layer and spread evenly with a spatula (do this quickly so as to get a smooth, uniform layer).
- Place back into the fridge (or freezer) until set.
- Cut and serve!
- Keep in the fridge for best serving results.
I have great memories of being a kid and raiding convenience stores with my dad while on family road trips, but this time, it’ll be nice to have my own healthier alternative to the processed candy bars sold in gas stations along the way.
These are both dairy-free and nut-free, making them more suitable for those with allergies to either.
I foresee these making our trip much more pleasurable! 😀
Do you travel often? What are your favorite snacks to bring along when you are out of your home?