For the first time, maybe ever, I am totally prepared for Christmas.
I bought many of my gifts online in October (check), our house is decorated with lights, wreaths, and Santa’s crew (check, check, check), and we have our Christmas tree up and rocking (check!).
Usually, I’m the poster child for Christmas ‘procrastination’, especially in the present department, but this year, online shopping saved my rear! I’ve been able to find nearly everything I wanted without having to brave the crowded malls or stores but once! Bless you Amazon.
With all of my holiday ducks in a row, it’s given me a bit more time to focus on the sweet treats so common to this time of year.
Along with the typical fruitcake, yule logs, and boozy eggnog, peppermint is a major player in the dessert game, which works out beautifully in my favor because chocolate and mint is my absolute favorite combination of flavors!
Boasting a number of trendy health titles, including paleo, gluten-free, and grain-free, these minty spheres will absolutely WOW you!
They are solely sweetened with dates, and have NO added oil or butter of any kind, as the walnuts provide all the ‘buttery-ness’ needed to satisfy.
I love the freshness the mint provides, and they bake up with a fudge-like texture that is completely irresistible.
Sprinkle a few chocolate chips or crushed canes atop each one to make them extra festive and fun! 🙂
Fudgy, flourless, and fruit-sweetened Christmas-themed cookies.
- 1 c. raw walnuts
- 5-5 1/2 ounces large soft dates (about 12)
- 1/4 c. cocoa powder
- 1/4 t. sea salt
- 1/4 t. baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 1/2 t. mint extract
- 2 T. chocolate chips optional
- crushed candy canes optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Pulse the walnuts just until they form a meal consistency.
- Remove them and process the dates until they are broken down and have a paste-like consistency.
- Add back the walnuts, along with the remaining ingredients (minus the chocolate chips and candy canes).
- Process the mix until smooth and well combined.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper onto a baking sheet and spray a light layer of oil atop the paper.
- Drop the cookie dough onto the paper, making about 10 cookies.
- Use lightly damp hands to mold the cookies into flatter circles.
- Top with a few chocolate chips, if desired.
- Bake 10-12 minutes until the tops look set.
- Cool and sprinkle the crushed candy canes onto the tops, if desired.
Nutrition facts are based on using five ounces of dates. NO chocolate chips or candy canes are included in the stats. WW points (new system): 4
Adapted from this recipe
Omit the mint for a regular double chocolate chip cookie.
Add in more chocolate chips, if desired.
Mix the chocolate chips into the actual batter, if desired.
Stay healthy everyone! You can still have your treats and eat them too, just make recipes like this one. 🙂
Are you ready for Christmas?