The. Best. Salsa….Period.

Hello, hello! Welcome to another exciting Firefighter Friday!

My husband with Jade, and a very relevant setting to today’s stellar recipe! My husband and I looooooooove going out for Mexican food, and our daughter Jade asks just about every day to go to ‘rice and beans’. Soon, I’m sure, Natalie will follow….

With this obsession we all have, I have to be able to recreate some of the dishes at home, or we’d being going broke funding our vice. Hence, today’s salsa recipe!

What? A spicy dish on Firefighter Friday? Oh yes, dearies.

And with it being football season, I figured you ladies could make this for your sports fanatic guys, wow the pants off of him, and have him acknowledge you even if you’re not blocking his view of Leinart’s (is he still playing?) pass for a 30 yard down.

My husband LOVES this salsa!….and it’s so easy!!

I use canned tomatoes, which are cheaper than fresh ones, but since canning is done when fruit/vegetables are at their ripest, you are ensured a great taste! I know that, health-wise, some of you have trouble with canned products, so feel free to sub in an equal amount of fresh tomatoes prepared to your liking (i.e. roasted, raw, etc.).

SIMPLE SPICY SALSA

15 oz. can organic fire-roasted tomatoes

1/4 of a red onion (about 1/3 cup)

1 small jalapeno

3 garlic cloves

1-2 T. lime juice

1/4-1/2 t. cumin

1/4-1/2 t. salt

1/3 c. cilantro (or parsley if you’re not a cilantro fan)

Pulse the onion, garlic, and jalapeno in a food processor about 15 times, until the veggies look finely diced. Add the can of tomatoes and pulse about 8 more times. Add the rest of the ingredients and pulse another 8 times (or until all is combined). Season to taste.

Delicioso!!

What’s your favorite type of cuisine?

Are you or your significant other into football?

My husband and I actually watch NO football! My husband has never been into watching it, although he played it in high school. Hey, no complaints here!

Tagged: , , , , , , ,

1. Matt @ The Athlete's Plate October 5, 2012 at 4:53 pm Reply

Guac > salsa :)
    Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..A Fall SurveyMy Profile

• Lauren October 6, 2012 at 8:26 am Reply

Matt, you are seriously a pain in my arse! :-P One of these days, I’ll impress you.

2. jessielovestorun October 5, 2012 at 8:18 pm Reply

Love salsa.. and LOVE this recipe! I’ve come across salsa recipes that just seem like such work, but yours sounds so simple!!

ps. you have hte cutest children <3
    jessielovestorun recently posted..Thankful Thursday #3My Profile

• Lauren October 6, 2012 at 8:27 am Reply

Thank you Jessie! :-)

3. Gabby @ the veggie nook October 6, 2012 at 3:19 am Reply

Looks delicious Lauren :) I can never decide on my favourite cuisine- I honestly like them all! Mexican is definitely right up there though. I have never been into football either- too much stopping and starting!
    Gabby @ the veggie nook recently posted..healthy vegan friday #11My Profile

• Lauren October 6, 2012 at 8:28 am Reply

Haha, yeah, I can never seem to follow the ball. I prefer tennis! :-)

4. Michelle @ Eat Move Balance October 6, 2012 at 3:46 am Reply

Salsa is seriously one of my favorite foods! I’m saving this recipe to try very, very soon! Thanks for the idea. Have a great weekend!
    Michelle @ Eat Move Balance recently posted..Friday’s Five!My Profile

• Lauren October 6, 2012 at 8:28 am Reply

That’s great! Let me know if you like it!

5. Dana October 6, 2012 at 7:14 am Reply

My four year old loves rice and beans, too! Thanks for the salsa recipe. Looks great!
    -Dana
    Dana recently posted..Lime Tarragon Cookies Gluten FreeMy Profile

• Lauren October 6, 2012 at 8:29 am Reply

Rice and beans are just so simple, I think all kids probably like them. Thanks for visiting Dana!

6. Ellie@Fit for the Soul October 6, 2012 at 11:08 am Reply

Awww you guys are such a beautiful family!!!! :D And omgsh this salsa looks a lot like my favorite salsas! They’re similar tasting to each other, from 2 diff. mexican restaurants. One is called the “whole enchilada”, and the other one is “El Cholo” lol. Mexican is def. one of my faves! So is sushi and mediterranean. :D
    Ellie@Fit for the Soul recently posted..Rundown of Eats, Plus Run Your Heart OutMy Profile

7. Leanne @ eatandgetmoving October 7, 2012 at 6:19 am Reply

Hi Lauren! Here’s the recipe to my Nectarine Cheesecake I promised http://eatandgetmoving.wordpress.com/2012/10/07/the-recipe-to-my-protein-packed-no-bake-greek-yogurt-nectarine-cheesecake/ from last WIAW :)

What a super cute picture of your hubby and Jade! Such a precious family :) Love, Leanne
    Leanne @ eatandgetmoving recently posted..The recipe to my protein packed, no bake, Nectarine CheesecakeMy Profile

• Lauren October 7, 2012 at 8:53 am Reply

Thank you! :-) It looks delicious!!!

8. Tanya @ Playful and hungry October 7, 2012 at 1:25 pm Reply

Homemade salsa is an all time favorite!

9. […] Homemade Salsa […]