Creamy Cauliflower Alfredo

Hello everyone! Welcome to another exciting edition of Oatmeal With A Fork! This is a great week for me because Halloween is in TWO DAYS!!!!

I promise to have a super cool treat to wrap up October, so stop by and visit me then! :-)

Today’s recipe is a savory one to balance out all of the candy you are about to gorge yourselves with in two days. Cauliflower is the toast of the town blog world lately. Bloggers are using it in everything from pizza crust to mashed potatoes. It is packed full of nutrition, including vitamin C and indole-3-carbinol (which helps your body process out the bad estrogens), AND it is low in both calories and carbs.

Its neutral color and mellow flavor make it the perfect ingredient for adding to recipes, especially those traditionally white in color. That’s where this comes in….

When cooked and pureed, cauliflower transforms into a creamy, soft mixture that, when blended with a few spices and a bit of milk, becomes a delicious alfredo-like sauce that goes perfectly atop whole grain or veggie noodles. No cream needed!

CREAMY CAULIFLOWER ALFREDO SAUCE

5 c. cauliflower florets, chopped (approximately one medium-sized head)

enough water to cover the cauliflower

Boil the above ingredients for 10-12 minutes, covered. Drain the cauliflower.

1 T. olive oil or coconut oil

3 garlic cloves, minced

3/4 c. milk of your choice

3/4 t. onion powder

1 T. lemon juice

1 t. Dijon mustard

1/2 t. sea salt

pepper, as desired

1/4 c. parmesan (or nutritional yeast if vegan)

1 c. loosely packed kale, chopped, optional

more salt and pepper, to taste

Heat oil in a pan. Add garlic and saute until fragrant. Stir in remaining ingredients, except for the cheese and kale. Let bubble on low heat for about 1 minute.

Blend all (including the drained cauliflower) until smooth, and return mix to the pan.

Stir in cheese/nutritional yeast, along with more salt and pepper to taste. Add in kale last and cook just until it wilts down.

Garnish with fresh parsley, basil, or more cheese.

This would go great paired with my Perfectly Cooked Chicken and whole grain bread to soak up the extra sauce. You could also vary the vegetables if kale is not your cup of tea. Broccoli or peas would be delicious here!

This spiralizer is awesome for making veggie noodles!

Do you make your own vegetable pasta?

What’s your favorite kitchen tool?

I love love love my Cuisinart food processor! I don’t know how I went so long without one….my nut milk bag is a close second. :-)

Shared with: Fat Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Allergy-Free Wednesday, Healthy Vegan Friday, Make Your Own Monday, Wellness Weekend

Comments

Oooo, that sounds good! I imagine the beans would give it more of a thickness. I’ll have to come check it out…my husband loves mashed potatoes, so I’m always looking for tasty recipes, especially with Thanksgiving coming up!

Great idea to use cauliflower for an alfredo-type sauce! I just made zucchini pasta last night, but topped it with a lentil marinara sauce.

I adore my Vitamix (best splurge purchase ever), but the food processor is growing on me. I just bought it a few months ago, and while I HATE cleaning it (why is it necessary to have 25 parts and pieces that all get stuff stuck in the nooks and cranies?) I have found a few key uses for it. If you have any advice to make cleaning it easier, I’d love to hear it!
    Michelle @ Eat Move Balance recently posted..Raw Thai Tempeh Lettuce WrapsMy Profile

Haha, I too wish there was an easier way! I bought a VitaMix a while back, but couldn’t handle the tamper! I know a lot of bloggers that swear by it though, so I’m sure it’s a great machine! :-)

oh wowwww! this is so creative and genius! It sounds really healthy which is a plus, since Alfredo sauce can be so heavy sometimes. Usually with creamy sauces, I can only eat a few good bites and cannot go on anymore due to the rich taste. And You look gorgeous Lauren! And those kids are sooo adorable…Hmmmm I think right now, my magic bullet is my fave since it’s economical and easy to clean up! And I don’t know if these are “tools”, but I’m always in love with my baking pans 😀
    Ellie@Fit for the Soul recently posted..Collard Greens and a Challenge VlogMy Profile

Hi Ellie!! I’ve never used a Magic Bullet, but it seems like a very popular item! Baking pans are definitely included! My next inclusion would have been a knife…. 😉 Great to hear from you!

Wow this reminds me, I haven’t had alfredo sauce in FOREVER. Seriously. Great call with using cauliflower.. I’ve been meaning to make something with it – something nonconventional. This looks like the thing to do :) Thanks!

I saw this on Allergy Free Weds – if you’re interested, I also shared my recipes on there: my banana bread muffins and mocha banana protein soft serve. Have a great evening :)
    Kammie @ Sensual Appeal recently posted..Mocha Banana Protein Soft Serve {Guest Post}My Profile

Hi Amber! How does the saying go, ‘out of necessity this was born’?…er, something…well, that was the case here. :-) I don’t seem to do well with cashews, so this is what I came up with! Thanks for your sweet comments!

Hi Lynn! You could try grinding some cashews up in the form of a fine meal and adding a bit more salt. I’ve seen cashews used a lot in dairy-free cheese sauces. Let me know if you try it out! :-)

Hi Patrice, there is a line-up of buttons at the bottom of the post, the last of which is ‘print’. That should print out the recipe in its most simple format. Hope that helps! If that doesn’t work, let me know and I can email it to you. :-)

4. Joyce says

Hmm, either I am a bit thick, or it is very late— :)
    The recipe reads: Puree the cauliflower mix and the soaked almonds in your blender…
    I read and re-read the recipe and cannot find the amount of soaked almonds I need to blend w/ the cauliflower.

Am I missing something? I know later on you add almond milk… but do you use some soaked almonds to blend with the cauliflower as well?

5. Joyce says

Hmm, either I am a bit thick, or it is very late— :)

PS I am having problems with my comment getting through too… must not be my night.

Hi Joyce,
      Thanks for pointing this out to me! I fixed it now. Let me know if you have any other questions, and thank you for your sweet comment on my bean milk. :-)

6. Bridie O'Shea says

I just made this for dinner tonight and it was delicious! The family loved how creamy it was without the cream. For an extra bite, I added chilli. Definitely will make again!

Trackbacks

1. […] Creamy Cauliflower Alfredo Sauce Ingredients: 3 c. cauliflower florets, chopped 2 c. water 1 bay leaf 1/2 t. salt Boil the above ingredients for 30 minutes, uncovered. Remove bay leaf. Puree the cauliflower mix with an immersion blender. 1 T. olive oil or coconut oil 1 garlic clove, minced 1/2 c. almond milk 1/4 c. parmesan (or nutritional yeast if vegan) about 15 scrapes of fresh nutmeg 1 c. loosely packed kale, chopped salt and pepper, to taste Directions: Heat oil or butter in a pan. Add garlic and saute until fragrant. Add in the cauliflower puree and the milk. Let bubble on low heat for about 5 minutes. Add in cheese/nutritional yeast, nutmeg, and salt and pepper to taste. Add in kale last and cook just until it wilts down. Season to your liking and pour over whole grain pasta, zucchini noodles, or spaghetti squash. (Recipe from Oatmeal with a Fork) […]