These healthy apple pie-spiced muffins have no added sugar and are made with grain-free coconut flour. They're a great treat for someone on a special diet!
I originally made these for my daughter to take to school as a snack, but they have slowly morphed into a house favorite.
The thing I wrestled with was the spice blend, which is extremely important.
I originally had a blend of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and allspice, but it was just 'off'. I knew the recipe could be great and finally, I realized what was missing...cardamom!
The addition was just what these soft, flavorful snacks needed!
I love that they're so agreeable with everyone here (many recipes I make are only suitable for one or two of us) and that they're free of any sweetener.
The applesauce, added chopped apples, and spice blend all contribute to the deliciousness, eliminating the need (in our house's opinion) for any type of sugar.
Though I typically keep these nut-free, a sprinkle of toasted walnuts or pumpkin seeds would give these a nice crunch!
Coconut flours vary in absorbency, so for your reference, this is the brand I use.
The frosting I use on these is the same as my Pumpkin Pie Bars.
Apple Pie-Spiced Muffins (No Added Sugar)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup coconut oil melted
- ½ cup coconut flour see Notes
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ + ⅛ teaspoon cardamom
- ½ cup chopped apples
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix the wet ingredients (eggs, applesauce, vanilla, oil) in a medium-sized bowl.
- Mix the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, salt, spices) in a small bowl.
- Add the dry mix into the wet ingredients, along with the chopped apples, stirring until combined (it will be thick!).
- Divide the batter among 12 paper muffin cups.
- Bake 18-20 minutes until the tops are lightly golden and feel solid, but springy.
- Cool and enjoy!
If you have a chance to try this recipe, please leave a star rating and a comment below letting me know how you liked it!