Delicious, slightly fudgy brownies made with oat flour, olive oil, maple syrup, and applesauce – made in one bowl!
WHEN I EAT TREATS
My favorite time to have a treat is shortly after lunch.
I’m not a big fan of dessert after dinner, as it doesn’t do my digestion well, and I don’t sleep the best after eating something sweet, especially if it has chocolate.
Eating a treat in the afternoon gives me a chance to test out some recipe ideas, and it provides a good boost of energy for the remainder of my day, particularly, if I head to the gym.
APPLESAUCE IN BROWNIES
I just love today’s brownie recipe! It’s very easy to put together, and it bakes up quite fast, which is nice for impatient people like me. 🙂
Unlike some of my more bitter brownies and chocolate cakes, this one got a thumbs up from the entire crew (Sammy too!). He kept trying to sneak more, the little devil.
The ingredients list is very clean and accessible, and the whole 8 x 8 pan only has ONE tablespoon of added sweetener. I use a combination of maple syrup and stevia, along with some other flavorings, like oat flour, vanilla, and applesauce, to create a naturally sweeter taste.
I enjoy using oat flour in these, but they also work with spelt flour, whole wheat flour, einkorn flour, and half oat/half any of the aforementioned.
This recipe may not be for those of you used to really sweet brownies, so please keep that in mind before trying!
You can top it with your favorite chocolate chips or chopped chocolate bar to amp up the sweetness. I love these with my Peanut Butter Frosting slathered on top!
Easy, Healthy Brownies with Applesauce
- 1/2 cup oat flour (can also use spelt, whole wheat, or einkorn)
- 5 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2 Tbsp olive oil (can also use melted coconut oil or melted butter)
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp milk of your choice see Notes
- stevia to taste
- chocolate chips or chopped chocolate for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add in the applesauce, oil, syrup, vanilla, egg, milk, and stevia.
- Stir until well combined.
- Pour the batter into a well-oiled 8 x 8 baking dish.
- Top with chocolate, if desired.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until a knife comes out clean. Don't overbake!
I like to use my Homemade Coconut Milk in this recipe.
Some of the items I use to make this recipe include:
Mixing the batter…
Pouring the batter into a baking dish…