I love cold cereal and granola.
When I was a kid, I used to eat a bowl (or two) after dinner every night! Some of my favorites were Raisin Bran, Cheerios, Rice Krispies, and Just Right. I could often be found siphoning out the raisins and dates from any box that contained them, and I always added extra raisins to the cereals that didn’t. :-]
My biggest hurdles with granola are typically the amount of sugar, fat, and carbs that they contain. If I consume any more than a sprinkle on top of some yogurt, I often become fatigued from sugar overload. With this granola, I wanted to employ something that contained a bit more protein, that wasn’t a grain, and that was unique, so I called upon the almighty lentil.
- 3/4 c. red lentils
- 1/4 c. pumpkin seeds
- 2 T. sesame seeds
- 3 T. maple syrup
- 4 t. oil such as olive, coconut, or walnut
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1/2 t. cinnamon
- 1/4 t. + 1/8 t. sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- Add the lentils into a saucepan and cover them with water.
- Bring the mix to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer, and let the lentils cook for five minutes.
- Drain the lentils and let them cool a bit.
- In a bowl, mix the lentils with the remaining ingredients.
- Pour the mix onto a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet, and let them bake for 50-60 minutes (stir the mix once or twice during that time).
- Cool and enjoy!
Nutrition facts are based on using olive oil. Weight Watchers points (new system): 6
Adapted from this recipe
I really enjoyed the texture and flavor of the red lentils as a cereal. I typically eat them in Dahl or soup, so it was a refreshing change to try them in something sweet. While I added pumpkin seeds and sesame seeds to mine, you could add whatever seeds or nuts you like. You could also mix in some dried fruit for extra texture and sweetness.
The crunch from the lentils reminds me a bit of Grape Nuts, only better, and if you really want to enjoy it Oatmeal-with-a-Fork style, throw some raisins in that bad boy! 😀
What food did you eat a lot of as a kid?
On the nights I wasn’t eating cereal, I was enjoying a tub of buttered popcorn. 😀