Lately, I’ve really been enjoying trying to create delicious recipes in a more simplistic way.
While perusing other recipes, I’ve been trying to focus on what makes me want to recreate it in my own kitchen, and, typically, the reasons include:
- a short-ish list of accessible, relatively inexpensive ingredients
- looks tasty (good picture)
I realize that if I think this way, there are probably a lot of other people that do as well! While I enjoy working with ingredients such as chestnut flour and glucomannan, I hope to also post enough simple, but delicious recipes that anyone can make!….like this one…
I made these little truffles as my Easter contribution to the blog. 😀
They are lightly spiced and sweetened, with a lip-licking richness from the walnuts. The addition of carrots, I found, allowed me to decrease the dates/raisins because of the carrot’s added sweetness, which is a huge plus!
Low Carb Carrot Sno-Balls
- 1/2 c. dates or raisins if using dates, soak them in hot water for about 10 minutes, I used about 10 Medjool dates
- 1/2 c. raw walnuts
- 1/2 c. carrot finely grated
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1/2 t. cinnamon
- 1/8 t. ginger dried
- 1/8 t. nutmeg freshly grated if possible
- 1/4 t. lemon zest optional
- 1/2 c. unsweetened coconut shreds for rolling
- Pulse the walnuts in a food processor until they are broken up a bit.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except the coconut).
- Process until everything is well combined.
- Pour coconut into a small bowl.
- Roll the dough into balls and then into the coconut.
- Place on a wax paper-lined plate and then into the refrigerator to set a bit.
88 calories and 9 carbs = guilt-free treat = 😀