I just adore truffles. The word alone conjures images of deliciousness.
Filled with anything from nuts to seeds…dried apricots, raisins, or dates…grated carrot, shredded apple and a plethora of spice combinations…
…these little treats are energizing, healthy, and scrumptious!
Because I have a love/hate relationship with cashews and am allergic to almonds, I opted to use walnuts here, as they are high in fat, and lend a creaminess to the truffle without any added oil.
Chewy Chocolate Chip Truffles
- 7 T. oats use almond meal if grain-free
- 2/3 c. walnuts
- 1/2 t. cinnamon
- 1/4 t. sea salt
- about 9 dates I used the Medjool kind
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1 T. coconut milk or water
- 2 T. cacao nibs or chopped dark chocolate
- Process oats into flour.
- Add walnuts and process until fine.
- Remove the oat/walnut mix, and in the dates.
- Process the dates until they resemble a paste.
- Add the remaining ingredients (except chocolate pieces).
- Process until all is well combined.
- Pulse in nibs or chips last so they retain their shape.
- Form balls (it is advantageous to use wet hands here, as the dough can stick to your fingers a bit).
- Freeze for about 10-15 minutes.
I love having these on hand for quick snacks/treats! They really give me a little energy boost, and it’s great to know I’m not eating something so healthy and GOOD for me.
What’s the most unusual food you’re allergic to?
As a kid, I had a bad reaction to kiwi, but these days I wonder if it was what was actually on the kiwi (as in a pesticide). My brother had a pretty bad reaction to a carrot once, and my mom went so far as to have the carrot analyzed at a lab. Turns out, it had DDT on it! Yikes!
Shared with: Healthy Vegan Friday