Dairy-Free Cauliflower Pizza Crust - This delicious low carb pizza crust is made with cauliflower instead of flour! NO cheese or any dairy needed for the crust, making it more friendly for those with allergies.
Cauliflower pizza crust has been around since around 2009!
It has definitely stood the test of time, as far as likability.
I love a good cauli crust, especially when I'm looking to have some grain-free pizza.
In light of some health trouble, I've been eating fewer grains lately, gluten, in particular.
It seems gluten is hard on the digestive system, so when you're in bad shape physically, it may be a good thing to stop eating for a while.
Why I love this recipe
After many trials, fails, and stinky dish towels, I've perfected my own cheese-free version of the popular ditty.
No cheese IN the crust, that is.
When I initially set out to make a cauliflower crust, I wanted to create a simple recipe that hit all of the following points:
- Doesn't have added cheese,
- Holds together well enough to be picked up,
- Has exact measurements,
- Serves just one,
- Is delicious!
See the Recipe Notes below for information on doubling the recipe.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Egg - No substitutes worked for me; try my Red Lentil Crust for an egg-free pizza crust!
- Sea salt
- Italian seasoning - This is optional, it adds a good amount of flavor though!
The perfect pizza for one!
Can you make cauliflower crust without eggs?
I tried really hard to make this without the egg, but could not do it.
I imagine you'd need starches and/or gums, which my tummy cannot handle.
I used this food scale (which I love) for my measurements. If you're an avid cook/baker, it comes in very handy.
When spreading the mixture onto the parchment paper, don't be alarmed if it appears too wet.
Also, when spreading the mixture onto the parchment paper, be sure to cover any holes.
If you double the recipe, double all of the ingredients EXCEPT only add in an additional egg white instead of another whole egg.
If you like pizza, try some of these recipes
Dairy-Free Cauliflower Pizza Crust
- 8 ounces chopped cauliflower florets about 1 tightly packed cup of 'riced' cauliflower
- ½ cup water
- 1 large egg
- ⅛ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- Make your cauliflower rice by either grating the pieces using a cheese grater or pulsing the florets in a food processor until finely chopped.
- In a small saucepan, bring the water to a boil.
- Once boiling, add the cauliflower rice to the pan.
- Turn the heat off (leave the pan on the burner), and cover the pan.
- Let the pan sit covered for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Remove the lid from the 'rice', and dump into a clean dish towel.
- Wrap the cauliflower in the towel, and squeeze out the excess water (there will be quite a bit!).
- In a bowl, mix the egg and seasonings.
- Add in the cauliflower.
- Mix everything until well combined.
- Pour the contents of the bowl onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Using a spoon, spread the mixture out into the shape of a small, round pizza (it should be about 1/3 of an inch thick). You can also use your spoon to create a little crust, if you like.
- Place the pan into the oven, and bake the pizza for 25-30 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Remove the pizza and top as desired.
- Bake for 6-8 more minutes until toppings have cooked through.
- Remove the pizza, cool, and enjoy!
If you have a chance to try this recipe, please leave a star rating and a comment below letting me know how you liked it!