I have been DYING for some oatmeal pancakes...
...but, since I'm going grain-free this month, I'm forced to find an alternative.
What's an oat-loving girl to do?
Employ my good ol' buddy...chickpeas.
I first came across chickpea flour when I read about socca in one of my favorite books, How To Cook Everything by Mark Bittman. Socca is an unleavened, gluten-free pancake/crepe that is as common to Nice, France as hamburgers are to the United States. It is easy to make, high in protein, and dee-licious!
After reading David Lebovitz's recipe for socca, I thought, why not add milk and a bit of sweetener for actual pancakes? Topped with Peanut Butter Syrup (recipe below), these make a scrumptious, light, but filling breakfast that you'll want to make again and again. I know I do!
Grain-Free, Egg-Free Protein Pancakes
- 1/2 c. chickpea flour
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1/2 t. cinnamon
- 1/2 t. pie spice or 1/4 t. cinnamon, 1/8 t. cloves, 1/8 t. nutmeg
- 1/4 t. + 1/8 t. baking powder
- 1/2 c. + 1 T. dairy-free milk
- 6 drops stevia
- 1/2 t. maple syrup or 1-2 more drops of stevia
- Coconut oil or butter for frying
- Mix the dry ingredients (flour, salt, spices, baking powder).
- Mix the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients.
- Whisk until the batter is smooth.
- Heat a non-stick pan and add the oil or butter.
- Once the fat is melted, add batter in ~1/4 cup increments for each cake.
- Fry about 2-3 minutes each side.
- Repeat with remaining batter.
- Top with Peanut Butter Syrup or maple syrup, and enjoy!
To make the Peanut Butter Syrup, just mix two tablespoons of peanut butter with a bit of maple syrup, stevia, a splash of vanilla, and 2-4 tablespoons of dairy-free milk or water. Mix it all until emulsified and pour it over the pancakes.
This recipe serves my husband and I easily, AND it boasts a whopping 10 grams of protein per serving (no powders needed)! That's almost as much as two eggs. 🙂
A note...do NOT judge these based on the batter. Chickpea goes through some sort of delicious evolution upon being heated and CAN NOT be judged beforehand.
This recipe rivals my usual Banana Protein Pancakes, and it is one that I'll be utilizing long after this grain-free month is over.
What's your favorite grain-free pancake recipe?