Lemon bars have always been a favorite dessert of mine.
My mom got me hooked on them as a little girl, and I pine for them whenever I cruise by a bakery display…out of
desire necessity is born a recipe! 😀
This raw version is made up of a chewy, sweet, and slightly tangy bottom layer topped with a rich and creamy layer of lemon-y goodness…the sweetness offsets the lemon enough to keep you from puckering, while still maintaining the citrus flavor that makes these bars so fresh and clean.
- 1 c. walnuts or pecans
- 1/4 c. unsweetened coconut
- 6 large soft dates (I used Medjool)
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1 T. lemon zest
- 1/2 t. water as needed for combining
- 6 T. coconut oil
- 3 T. coconut butter
- 3 T. maple syrup or raw honey
- 3 T. lemon juice
- 2 t. lemon zest
- 9 drops stevia to taste (or another 2-3 teaspoons of liquid sweetener)
- dash of turmeric for color (optional)
- Process together the ingredients for the bottom layer (add a little water if necessary to bring everything together).
- Make sure it is well combined, and press it into a small glass dish (I used a 7 x 5 inch Pyrex dish).
- Gently melt together the coconut oil with the coconut butter.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients, adding stevia to taste.
- Pour atop the bottom layer.
- Place into the fridge or freezer until set.
- Cut and enjoy!
I have literally sat on my couch with a dish of these bars and a spoon and ate half of the pan! They are so addictive and surprisingly light that I didn’t even feel heavy after eating them.
…the obligatory bite shot…
My husband and I often fight over these, so they tend to get
hidden stored in the vegetable drawer where certain bridegrooms don’t ever venture. Teehee.
What’s your favorite bakery pastry?
I also love the huge cookies!…oatmeal raisin is my favorite. 🙂
Shared with: Make Your Own Monday, Natural Living Monday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Wheat-Free Wednesday, Allergy-Free Wednesday, Healthy 2day, Gluten-Free Wednesday, Eco-Kids Tuesday, Gluten-Free Friday, Raw Foods Thursday, Healthy Vegan Friday, The Pennywise Platter, Whole Foods Friday, Full Plate Thursday, Wellness Weekend