This creamy, easy, and healthy red lentil soup makes a delicious lunch or dinner! The spices and lemon juice are perfect compliments to one another, and it goes very well with a loaf of crusty bread.
We had a rare Saturday this weekend where the whole family was home.
My husband and I both squeezed the gym in before noon, so we used our post-lunch hours to take the kids downtown to rent a flick.
Movie stores have kind of become a thing of the past, haven’t they?
When I was growing up, there was a Blockbuster on every corner. Now it seems conveniences like Redbox and Netflix have taken over.
Tucson’s last remaining rental establishment is a daisy, though.
Upon entering, free bags of popcorn are available for munching while you browse, and just about any movie you think of can be found.
Obscure B-movies, grisly Japanese horrors, and 60s Doris Day comedies all abound.
I’m a fan of all three. 🙂
As we all perused the selection, I couldn’t help but be reminded of my husband and myself a decade ago. Walking those same aisles, in love, neither of us imagining we’d be there today with three kids.
After picking out a couple of kids’ movies, we all trekked home where we had a time of popcorn and relaxing.
When dinnertime rolled around, I wanted to try out something new.
I’m a big fan of casseroles, but on this particular night, I found myself in the mood for soup.
I had recipes for both soup and bread that needed testing, and the rainy, cold weather set the mood for both.
I had low expectations for the soup, as I have botched a few recipes recently. Because of that, my confidence was a bit down, but, to my surprise, the soup turned out amazing!
So amazing, in fact, that the hubs and I both declared it one of the best soups I’ve ever made.
With praise like that, how could I not get it on the blog asap? (Soda bread recipe soon to come!)
- 2 T . olive oil
- 1 yellow onion , chopped
- 4 garlic cloves , minced
- 2 small carrots , chopped
- 1/2 c . celery , chopped
- 1 1/2 T . tomato paste
- 1 1/2 t . cumin
- 1/4 t . chili powder
- 1/2 t . sea salt , plus more to taste
- 1/2 t . black pepper
- 1 1/2 c . red lentils , rinsed and drained
- 6 c . water or broth of your choice
- 1/4 c . cilantro , chopped
- 2 T . lemon juice , plus more to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pot.
- Add in the onion, and cook 3-4 minutes until softened.
- Add in the garlic, carrot, and celery, and cook 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the spices and lentils, and heat through for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the water or broth.
- Bring to a boil and lower to a simmer.
- Cover and cook for about 30 minutes until lentil are soft and cooked through.
- Puree half of the soup in a blender.
- Return the blended soup to the pot with the remaining soup.
- Stir in the cilantro and lemon juice.
- Taste for extra salt or lemon.
- Serve while warm.
Fat: 7.4 g Carbs: 35.9 g Sugar: 2.9 g Protein: 12.3 g; Nutrition facts based on using 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt and two tablespoons of lemon juice. WW SmartPoints: 7
To the pot of soup, I only add two tablespoons of lemon juice. I then serve wedges for those who like a bit stronger lemon flavor.
Please let me know if you try this or any other recipe of mine! I love to read your feedback.
Shared with: Full Plate Thursday