Sometimes baking can be such a drag.
I typically enjoy the precision it requires, but when I’m trying to formulate a recipe and have to go through trial after trial of lessening the sweetener by a teaspoon, or trying coconut oil in place of butter, or trying a bit of applesauce in place of some of the fat, it can get pretty trying.
These steps are definitely necessary, though, to put out a good recipe that people will like and want to make again and again, so in the end, it is ultimately worth it!….but it is nice, once in a while, to have a delicious no-bake recipe like this one…
No-bake recipes are MUCH more forgiving. No leavening agents to worry about, no oven temperatures or cooking times, and no worrying that the cookies are spreading out too far due to the fact that you forgot to chill the damn dough…not that I speak from recent experience or anything.
I am in love with these bars! They are perfect for breakfast, as they have oats and a relatively small amount of sweetener, and they are soft, chewy, and completely addictive.
- 1/2 c. raw almond butter
- 3 T. coconut oil melted
- 3 T. maple syrup
- 1/4 t. + 1/8 t. sea salt
- 1 1/2 c. oats ground (measure before grinding)
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1 t. cinnamon
- 2 T. milk I used almond
- Mix everything but the ground oats until smooth.
- Stir in the ground oats until a thick batter forms.
- Press the mixture (you will need your hands) into a container fitted with a lid and lined with parchment paper (I used a small 7 x 5 inch Pyrex dish).
- Place in the refrigerator (or freezer if you're hungry) until the bars are set (somewhat hard to the touch).
- Cut and serve!
Nutrition facts are based on using unsweetened almond milk. Weight Watchers points (new system): 4
I like to make mine small and thick, but if you prefer big and thin, just pour them into a larger pan and cut them that way! Any way you cut them, I am convinced you will love them as much as I do!
What’s your favorite thing to bake?
Cookies, cookies, cookies. The above rant was a description of my current endeavor. 🙂