If you read this blog with any consistency, than you know I'm a beauty junkie.
As a young adult, one of my favorite things to do was peruse the gads of make-up stands at upscale department stores like Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom.
Some of my favorite high-end cosmetics companies are Merle Norman, MAC, Nars, and Urban Decay, none of which really boast a reputation for being 'organic' or 'natural'.
As I get older, I've turned towards more products by creators like Josie Maran and Mineral Fusion, but I still have my cheap Maybelline and L'oreal favorites as well!
I'm a total dichotomy in that I still buy make-up with more than questionable ingredients, but my skin care routine is TOTALLY natural and even hippie-ish.
I love making face masks from foods, like avocado or yogurt, using apple cider vinegar as a toner, and rubbing castor oil pretty much everywhere.
Masks are really where it's at for skin! By leaving these nutrients on, the skin has time to absorb what it needs to make you look and feel beautiful!
...once the mask is actually OFF, I should say.
I created this mask based off a few facts I already knew:
- Turmeric is a natural antiseptic, anti-bacterial, and anti-inflammatory agent. It has also been shown to speed wound-healing.
- Raw honey is antiseptic and antimicrobial, and it also contains gluconic acid, a mild alpha hydroxy acid that brightens the complexion, evens out skin tone, and lightens scars and age spots.
- Charcoal is used to draw out toxins and impurities from the skin, and it also had mild exfoliation properties.
- Spirulina improves age spots, eczema, acne and rashes.
- Coconut oil provides moisture by strengthening the underlying tissues. It also helps remove excessive dead cells on the skin's surface that makes your skin rough and flaky in texture.
By combining all of these natural and high-nutrient ingredients, I've found a formula for a mask that I'll be using for the rest of my life! My husband has not only told me how great my skin looks lately, but HE wants to do it with me! 🙂
I truly and genuinely notice such a huge difference in my skin when I use this mask. My skin is more even-toned, and (not to sound cheesy) but there's a literal 'glow' from my skin immediately after washing this off.
It doesn't take weeks to see results either, you will be able to see noticeable changes with your first use.
If I could package this and sell it on Shark Tank, you better believe I would!
Detox Face Mask
- 1 charcoal capsule I use the brand above, which contains 280 mg per capsule, but any charcoal should work!
- 2 t. turmeric
- 2 t. raw honey
- 1/2 t. spirulina
- 1/2 t. extra virgin coconut oil
- 1/4-1/2 t. water just enough to make the mask 'spreadable'
- Mix everything together in a glass or porcelain dish, adding a tiny bit of water as needed.
- Apply enough of the mixture to cover your face (1-2 teaspoons) using your hands or a spoon made from plastic, glass, or porcelain.
- Leave the mask on for 20-30 minutes (I leave mine on for 30).
- Rinse off with warm water and a soft washcloth.
You won't use this entire recipe for one mask, so just cover the remaining mixture with plastic wrap and keep it in a cupboard for the next time (you may need to add a bit more water with your second use to get the ingredients moving again).
The turmeric may stain your skin a bit, but it washes off within 1-2 washes (mine is off after the first wash).
Use an old washcloth, as the turmeric WILL NOT come out completely.
I hope you all give this a try! I promise, you won't regret it!
What is your favorite natural beauty treatment? Make-up line?