This cheesy broccoli rice is an easy and healthy meal made in the Instant Pot - Add in your favorite protein for a complete meal.
Who among you has not bought the marvel they call the Instant Pot??
Recipes are flowing like water from food bloggers across the web, as the renowned pressure cooker is having a moment. From cake to soup to mashed potatoes, this versatile piece of equipment can seemingly do it all!
My favorite ways to use it are for rice and beans. I love the freedom of not having to watch over the stovetop! It makes my life much easier, especially, if I have other tasks to tend to.
Also, it has been so great to make dried beans without the mandatory eight-hour plus soak. I buy dried beans (which are cheaper and less 'sketchy' than their canned counterparts), add water and boom! Soft, creamy beans like the ones in this recipe (my fave!).
We're not talking beans today, however, we're talking rice...my second favorite food in ze world!
I eat rice a good 5-6 times each week, so I'm always looking for new ways to make it taste delicious. My favorite pairings include the classic chicken and broccoli, which this recipe is a spin on.
Onion, garlic, carrot, and broccoli are briefly sautéed in olive oil and pressure cooked to a creamy consistency. This is a great way to get the kids to eat broccoli too, as this process breaks the cruciferous stalks down into soft, indiscernible bits, akin to risotto.
After removing the Instant Pot lid, I like to stir in a good handful of cheese, some cooked chicken or beans, and a smattering of finely chopped kale or parsley.
It makes a hearty, one pot meal that everyone is happy with!
Instant Pot Easy Cheesy Broccoli Rice
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion chopped (about one cup)
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 medium carrot grated
- 2 heads broccoli chopped (about four cups)
- 1 tsp oregano
- pinch red pepper flakes, to taste
- 2 cups short grain brown rice
- 2 1/2 cups water
- sea salt, to taste (I add about 1-2 teaspoons)
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese grated
- Add the oil, onion, garlic, and a good pinch of salt to your Instant Pot, and hit the 'Saute' button.
- Cook 2-3 minutes until softened.
- Stir in the grated carrot, broccoli, oregano, and red pepper flakes, and cook another 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the rice and water.
- Lock the lid in place, making sure the seal the vent.
- Hit 'Manual' and set the pressure to 22 minutes (it should be on high).
- Hit 'Manual' once more and wait for the Instant Pot to beep at the end of 22 minutes.
- Once it beeps, let the pot sit untouched for 10 minutes.
- Vent the remaining steam and carefully open the lid.
- Add in the cheese and stir until it melts.
- Stir in any protein or herbs of choice.
Add cheese as you desire. Sometimes I like a cheesier bite and add up to 1 1/2 cups.
At the end of cook time, stir in some chopped cooked chicken or beans for a protein boost.
I occasionally add in some chopped kale or parsley at the end as well. The heat from the rice is enough to cook the kale through while retaining its pretty green color.
These are some of the items I use to make this recipe:
Sauteing the onion...
Add in the broccoli...
...and the rice...
Top it all off with a little parmesan, if you like...