Easy Carrot Spaghetti (Vegan, Paleo)

I used to be obsessed with the music group, The Mamas and the Papas.

c1

I would play their music endlessly, stare at their album covers, and hopelessly try to style myself after the gorgeous Michelle Phillips. I tend to go in phases with my obsessions in all areas of life, not the least of which is food.

c3

My current fixation is this carrot spaghetti. I made it one night when my fridge was near empty, and I wanted something quick, easy, and full of vegetables. It was so scrumptious, and it has become my new go-to meal.

I posted about it in one of my recent ‘What I Ate Wednesdays‘, and since a few of you expressed an interest, here is the delightfully simple and delicious recipe.

Easy Carrot Spaghetti

Serves: 1
  • 2 t. olive oil
  • 2 T. shallot or onion, chopped fine
  • 1 c. mushrooms, chopped
  • ¼ t. sea salt
  • ¾ t. dried basil
  • black pepper, to taste
  • 3 large carrots, ribboned with a vegetable peeler
  • ¾ c. marinara sauce (see the link below for my favorite)
  • fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
  1. Heat the oil in a pan.
  2. Add the shallot or onion and saute for 1-2 minutes.
  3. Add the mushrooms, salt, basil, and pepper, and cook 5-6 minutes until the liquid from the mushrooms has evaporated.
  4. Add in the carrot ribbons and saute for one minute.
  5. Stir in the sauce, and let everything cook for 6-8 minutes until 'noodles' are done to your liking.
  6. Top with parsley and enjoy!
Weight Watchers points (new system): 7
Serving size: the entire recipe Calories: 242 Fat: 10.4 g Saturated fat: 1.5 g Unsaturated fat: 8.9 g Trans fat: 0 g Carbohydrates: 36.3 g Sugar: 19.2 g Sodium: 1586 mg Fiber: 9.5 g Protein: 7.2 g Cholesterol: 0 mg

I like to use my Easy and Healthy Pizza Sauce in this, but you can use whatever sauce is your favorite.

Though I own a vegetable spiralizer, I use this vegetable peeler to make ribbons out of my carrots. I like to cook my carrots closer to five or six minutes so that they retain an ‘al dente’ bite, as opposed to being on the mushy side.

c2

Though the Mamas and the Papas have found their way into my cranial archives, this spaghetti is sure to be around for a long time to come!

What have you ever been obsessed with?

Aside from the popular 60s quartet, I’ve also been crazy for Picasso, empire waist dresses, and crossword puzzles.

Shared with: Healthy Vegan Friday, Real Food Wednesday, Healthy 2day, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Fat Tuesday

Comments

1. Jeremy says

How do you get the carrot “noodles” to look so uniform using a peeler? Are you peeling the carrot lengthwise? I’d love a how-to on this!

• Joan says

A spiralizer or spirooli will do this with carrots, zucchini, butternut squash and more.
        LOVE new ways to make pasta with veggies!!
        See the many meals in Pinterest for this tool.
        Easy to use and clean.
        so much Fun and very healthy meals.

Yum yum, Lauren. Looks great! I make a raw dish with carrot “noodles” but I love the look of the ribbons here in a savory presentation. So pretty too.

And obsessed? Yes. Always. Let’s see entertainment wise…my latest obsession is Orange is the New Black. I watched the Netflix series and just read her memoir. Then went back and watched the show again. Ha ha. Also I’ve also been obsessed with making my own soap and lip balm. And landscaping my yard, learning a new song on the guitar….

Who am I kidding…I have a ton of stuff going on, as always…the list is endless. What up type A! :-)

Have a great weekend.
    –Am
    Amber recently posted..Lemon Garlic Baked Chicken w/ Lemon Garlic Gravy (Paleo, SCD, GAPS)My Profile

3. narf7 says

Awesome recipe and one that is going to get tested out tonight. A great way to stay away from the deliciousness that is “pasta” and think of all of the gorgeous sauces you could load these babies with…not only that…what about testing this with yellow, purple and orange carrots? How about throwing in some daikon and parsnip for a change? YUMMERS! Cheers for the great idea. I will be experimenting in the near future :)

The other day I did the same but with sweet potato and zucchini and poured a creamy pesto sauce over it. My husband preferred it to regular whole wheat pasta!!! I need to try this version asap/
    Rena recently posted..Healthy Apple PieMy Profile

5. Erin says

Thanks so much for sharing this! I love this recipe-I am not a big cook but was amazed at how simple and delicious this was, thanks again! :)

6. Padma says

Hi Lauren, A friend forwarded a recipe from your site and ever since, I have been hooked on to your site. You have some amazing recipes and I can’t wait to try them. I am GF, so finding things that I can make quickly is a treat.
    I had a question about your pizza sauce, when you say pureed tomatoes, do you use fresh tomatoes, blanch them and puree them? We live in the East coast where finding fresh tomatoes during the winter months can be hard at time. Even though, I am not a fan of canned tomatoes, can you use canned tomato purees for this recipe.
    Thanks again for your amazing recipes

Trackbacks