This juicy and delicious chicken recipe is made with just three main ingredients: 100% pure organic apple juice, chicken thighs, and salt! It's an easy meal that everyone will love, and it has been a family favorite for years.
You have to try this recipe. Overall, it's my highest rated, most popular recipe, period.
Our whole family loves it, and what's even funnier is that it came to be by accident!
In the past, I would poach chicken in apple juice to give it more flavor and tenderize it a bit. One time, however, I left it on the burner a tad too long, and it reduced down to create today's delicious hit!
Apple juice chicken, as we have lovingly named it, is an extremely simple recipe that includes chicken thighs and apple juice.
The apple juice creates a flavorful, thick, and syrupy sauce that coats and infuses the chicken thighs.
It almost tastes like a teriyaki sauce without the soy or sugar!
100% organic apple juice - Because apples are on the dirty dozen list, it is best to buy organic apple juice. Make sure apples are the only ingredient!
Chicken thighs - I believe some readers have used breasts, but thigh meat really adds good flavor to the recipe (and they're cheaper!).
Salt and pepper - I like the apple juice to be the primary flavor, so I typically only use salt and pep for flavor, but the pepper is even optional. You could also use red pepper flakes, which add a nice kick of heat!
Get new recipes delivered to your inbox
How to make the best chicken thighs
Begin by heating the apple juice in a 10-inch stainless pan. Once it begins to bubble, add in the chicken, along with some salt and pepper.
Bring it to a low boil, then lower it to a bubbly simmer. Cook the chicken, covered, for 15 minutes.
Flip the chicken, then cook for 15 more minutes, leaving the lid only partially on. This will allow the juice to begin reducing.
Flip the chicken again and partially cover it. It will continue to reduce, ultimately yielding a syrup-like consistency.
What does it taste like?
The chicken is so rich and flavorful, and the cooking process yields an almost fall-apart texture.
The reduced apple juice creates a delicious, sweet sauce that is reminiscent of something you might order from a Chinese food restaurant!
How to serve chicken thighs
We like to pair this with a veggie-packed salad and, occasionally, some fresh bread with olive oil for dipping.
Some other pairing ideas include:
Do NOT use a non-stick pan for this recipe! I use a stainless steel pan that is about 10 inches wide, and 2-3 inches deep.
A good rule of thumb here is 1/4 cup of apple juice per 1/4 pound of chicken.
Use only UNFILTERED, 100% ORGANIC apple juice.
Please enjoy the video below showing you exactly how to make this recipe!
Stove Top Chicken Thighs (Apple Juice Chicken)
- 1 ½ cups 100% unfiltered apple juice preferably organic
- 1 ½ pounds (about 6-7 medium) chicken thighs boneless and skinless
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a deep pan over medium heat.
- Add the juice first and bring to a low boil.
- Add in the chicken and sprinkle the meat with salt and pepper.
- Lower everything to a bubbling simmer and cover the pan, cooking for 15 minutes.
- Flip the chicken over.
- Partially cover the pan and cook for another 15 minutes. It should be bubbling the whole time, but not spilling or 'spitting'.
- Pop the lid up so that a significant amount of steam can escape, allowing the apple juice to reduce down and thicken (the heat should still be high enough that the juice is bubbling softly).
- Cook for another 10-15 minutes, partially covered, until the juice is thick and syrupy, flipping the chicken every 10 minutes or so.
- Watch it closely for the last 2-3 minutes, as it can burn quickly.
- Remove from heat once the chicken is cooked through and the juice resembles honey in consistency.
If you have a chance to try this recipe, please leave a star rating and a comment below letting me know how you liked it!