Healthy Chicken and Hummus Wraps - These easy to make wraps are a delicious, yet light meal. They're great for packing in lunches and can be customized to each person's liking.
Building off of my Tahini-Free Hummus recipe from Monday, I wanted to share these scrumptious chicken and hummus wraps.
Both Sam and my husband are in need of packed lunches for the foreseeable future. Sam begins school next week, while the latter is lead instructor of a fire academy for the next several months.
Ergo, I've been in the kitchen creating some new recipes for the boys!
These wraps fit the bill in terms of ease, portability, pack-ability, and deliciousness. They're also very easy to customize.
Ingredients and substitutions
These are the basic ingredients you'll need for the wrap.
Chicken - I make my Instant Pot Chicken Breasts recipe 1-2 times each week and use the chicken in salads, wraps, and stir-fries. Rotisserie chicken would also be great.
Additions and variations
- Various veggies - Lettuce, spinach, sprouts, red onion, tomato, cucumber, and grated carrot are some of our favorites. Avocado is also delicious, though it's technically a fruit!
- Cheese - Grated cheddar is our favorite! Swiss, gouda, muenster, and even goat cheese are all delicious as well.
- Condiments - I'm a big fan of mustard and mayo. Cream cheese would also be good!
- Fresh herbs - Mint, basil, parsley, and cilantro are some of our favorites to add. Just add a tablespoon or so as to not overpower the other flavors.
How to make chicken and hummus wraps
There is no specific way you have to make these, though my advice is to begin by spreading hummus onto a tortilla.
The hummus acts as a 'glue' when rolling the wrap, helping it hold together.
I then top the hummus with chopped chicken.
Next, I like to add a combination of lettuce, shredded carrot, and chopped cucumber. Sprinkle on some cheese, if you like, and/or add some slices of avocado.
Finally, the tortilla gets rolled up! Easy, peasy.
Cut in half and serve or store in a container for your lunch.
They would all make great additions!
Healthy Chicken and Hummus Wraps
- 4 large whole grain tortillas
- ½ cup hummus
- 1 cup chopped chicken
- 1 cup various veggies see notes above
- ½ cup grated cheese see notes above
- various condiments as desired.
- For each tortilla, spread two tablespoons of hummus onto the surface leaving about 1/4-inch crust around the perimeter.
- Layer on your chicken, veggies, and cheese, as you like. I use about 1/4 cup (packed) of each chicken and veggies.
- Add on a couple of tablespoon of grated cheese. You can also layer on a few avocado slices or squirts of mustard and/or mayo as you like.
- Roll the tortilla up fairly tight, using the hummus as the 'glue' to hold the wrap together.
- Cut in half for best serving and enjoy!
If you have a chance to try this recipe, please leave a star rating and a comment below letting me know how you liked it!
Shared with: Full Plate Thursday