Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken – Delicious, fall-apart chicken thighs made with fresh ingredients. NO dried spices or salsa jars needed!
When you’re dealing with mold toxicity, one of the things you might consider avoiding is dried spices. It’s one of the most overlooked sources, and it can be a rather important one.
This has been particularly difficult for me, as I love spices!
How in the world was I to create delicious Mexican food at home without chili powder and cumin?!
Well, as with sugar, my taste eventually adjusted to the lack. It really is amazing how you can ‘retrain’ your buds to enjoy food that is made without tons of sugar and added flavorings.
I came up with today’s salsa chicken recipe a while back at the height of my food allergies, post Mickie.
It was such a hit with everyone that it has become a staple, and by that, I mean something that I make at least once a week.
Those are the best recipes, aren’t they?
How to make this chicken into a great meal:
I’ve grown up/live in Arizona, so I am a lover of Mexican food and have re-created some pretty terrific recipes, many of which are on the blog. Some of them that you might consider pairing with this salsa chicken include:
Some other accoutrements that we like include:
Tortilla chips, guacamole, grated cheese, sour cream, and salsa!
Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken
- 3 pounds chicken thighs trimmed of excess fat
- 1/2 large yellow onion chopped
- 1/2 large green bell pepper chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves minced
- 2 Roma tomatoes chopped
- juice 1/2 lime
- 1 tsp sea salt plus more to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- large handful cilantro chopped
- Mix all of the ingredients together (minus cilantro) in a slow cooker (around 5-6-quart).
- Let the mixture cook on high for 4-5 hours.
- Stir in the cilantro at the end.
Some of the items used to make this recipe include:
Shared with: Full Plate Thursday